Menu

Reviews of AP European w/PA Homeschoolers?

FWIW, the framework for the AP European History course was revised by College Board this year.  So every teacher has needed to revise their course to meet the new framework.  Teachers will be somewhat in the dark about exactly what garners a solid AP exam score until after this year's test in May 2016.

That probably won't affect questions on things like how the course is delivered or what sort of feedback the teacher gives.  But it does mean that there is a certain amount of uncertainty in this course at the present.  From any provider.  

I know a long time private school teacher who has taught AP Euro for years, and has been an exam reader for about a decade.  Even he has some questions about what constitutes a solid essay under the new framework.  

• Like 2

I haven't checked out his materials myself, but I have seen them mentioned on Twitter, so just in case this may be helpful - Tom Richey does a lot of YouTube tutorial videos and provides various materials for AP European History and APUSH:

http://www.tomrichey.net/

Edited to add: Raise your hand if you thought the OP was asking if there were review materials available for AP European, not whether anyone has reviewed the program... :blush:

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Bumping this to see if there is any more feedback on this course.  My daughter is very interested, but I'm hesitant because there are no reviews.  

Learners4life, I saw in another post that your dd is taking the Environmental Science class.  Can you compare the workload of the two?  Is it similar?  We're trying to determine how many APs dd should sign up for next year.

Is there any other online provider for AP European?

I hope you get some feedback. I am the OP, and we have decided to sign up for AP Comparative Government next year instead of AP Euro.

Ds is in the AP Comparative Government class this year and is enjoying it. He said ideally, it was nice to have a background in European history, but not totally necessary.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I haven't checked out his materials myself, but I have seen them mentioned on Twitter, so just in case this may be helpful - Tom Richey does a lot of YouTube tutorial videos and provides various materials for AP European History and APUSH:

http://www.tomrichey.net/

Edited to add: Raise your hand if you thought the OP was asking if there were review materials available for AP European, not whether anyone has reviewed the program... :blush:

This AP course could be well taught at home using any of the suggested AP European History texts listed on the College Board link, along with Tom Richey videos and resources. The only hang-up would be the essays.  If your child has already taken AP U.S. History (this year's exam or last year's exam), then they will already understand the rubric.  If not, there is an excellent writing tutor available through Tom Richey - Meredith Noah.  She is a current AP Euro teacher with a lot of experience, plus has been an AP Euro reader.  She's a little expensive, but worth every cent.

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 1

Bumping this to see if there is any more feedback on this course.  My daughter is very interested, but I'm hesitant because there are no reviews.  

Learners4life, I saw in another post that your dd is taking the Environmental Science class.  Can you compare the workload of the two?  Is it similar?  We're trying to determine how many APs dd should sign up for next year.

Is there any other online provider for AP European?

Let me ask my daughter for a comparison, and I will get back to you.  I know APES was a lot easier for her, but she is a science person.

Asked daughter.  She verified what I said:  APES was much easier.  She said it would depend upon previous experience with both.  APES was easy, but she is sciencey plus had AP Bio last year.  AP Euro, I think, would be overall harder for just about anyone except for a completely unsciencey person (who might, then, struggle in any science class, making it closer in difficulty to AP Euro).  However, having previous experience with AP U.S. History would make AP Euro a lot easier because of the previous experience in AP history essay writing.

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 1

Thank you!! Dd will take AP US History next year, so maybe this can follow. History is her favorite, and I've felt badly about hesitating on another history class. There still are no reviews on the PA Homeschoolers site for this class or World. Did your Dd like the class?

Edited by cuckoomamma

Is your daughter taking APUSH through PA Homeschoolers?  My daughter is taking it next year with Mrs. Richman.  She has several friends that have taken the course with Mrs. Richman, and the feedback on her class is very good. Dd had Mrs. Richman's daughter, Mrs. Inspektor, this year for AP Lang, and the class was excellent.  I'm imagining the apple didn't fall far from the tree!