Menu

Expressive Language Disorder???

philda62

This morning my dd became very frustrated while we were doing history. As I asked her questions she said, "I can see the answer but I can't get it out". I asked her if she saw a picture and could she draw it. She said no. Do you see letters? How do you see it? "I don't know. It is in the back of my head and I can't get it out! I don't know how to get it out!"

Help! Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? She was diagnosed when she was younger with a "Receptive Language Disorder". However, now she is expressing an "Expressive" language disorder. I don't even know where to go from here.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Gilda

He has raging ADHD, dyscalculia and dyspraxia. His comprehension and retention are very poor. He often will tell me that he knows the answer to a question, but is unable to get it out. I've found that he has a terrible time in answering open-ended questions (such as "Tell me what you thought was most interesting about Augustus Caesar") or actually, in answering any school-type questions other than multiple choice, true/false, or fill-in-the-blank. So we use a lot of those.

It is very frustrating. I have no good advice for you, but major sympathy.

Michelle T

How do you go about finding a therapist? She is 16 and has struggled all her life. She is very frustrated with her inabilities and is worried about graduating. We did do speech therapy with the schools when she was younger but they never really addressed her issues. They always had her in a group setting and she was basically overlooked.

Gilda

We are using the ST at our local hospital. We chose that because I would have to dually enroll my sons as public school students *and* homeschooling students and since we already live in a state that has strict homeschool laws, I didn't want that extra "finger in the pie".

Our doctor referred us to the ST.

How do you go about finding a therapist? She is 16 and has struggled all her life. She is very frustrated with her inabilities and is worried about graduating. We did do speech therapy with the schools when she was younger but they never really addressed her issues. They always had her in a group setting and she was basically overlooked.

Gilda

You might call private schools for the ST they recommend for their students or have working parttime on their staffs. I also wonder if a group like toastmasters might have some references?