Menu

X-post: Free video programming program for kids (from MIT)

For all those computer-loving kids out there:

"Scratch is a simple, easy-to-learn programming language designed at MIT's Media Lab that lets anyone create and share video games and animated stories. Introduced just over a year ago, it has already attracted a wide following--particularly among kids aged 8 to 15--and a variety of uses that its creators never imagined."

To download the program, go here.

Excellent post, Stacia!

Alice is a similar program: it's a 3D interactive story teller, using the look and feel of The Sims (the world's best selling video game to date). They have seperate versions for young people in middle school, and high-school to college.

It was created by Randy "The Last Lecture" Pausch : the famous Carnegie Mellon University professor who gave an exuberant, funny and moving speech about achieving your childhood dreams. The title was ironic because at the time Randy, 47, was dying from pancreatic cancer, leaving behind 3 very young children. He loved computers and wanted more girls to be in the field of computer science. Alice was in part a dedication to his children, as something that will teach them programming because he can't be there to teach them himself.

"I mean, the metaphor I've used is ... somebody's going to push my family off a cliff pretty soon, and I won't be there to catch them. And that breaks my heart. But I have some time to sew some nets to cushion the fall. So, I can curl up in a ball and cry, or I can get to work on the nets."