Menu

Classification essay examples? Or anthologies with one? I have Writing with a Thesis

I have Writing with a Thesis and it has a chapter on Classification essays.  But my daughter is not confident in finding the thesis nor in writing one for classification essays and I would like to give her some more examples. 

Any online essays or other books like Writing with a Thesis or essay collections that has some?

Thanks,

Kendall

I have a book called Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition by Rosa & Eschholz.  It includes examples of all the different types of essays.  Under Division and Classification it includes essays by MLK Jr., Judith Viorst, and James David Barber.  Is something like that what you are thinking of? This book complements WWaT nicely, with more models of each type of essay introduced in that book.

http://www.amazon.com/Models-Writers-Short-Essays-Composition/dp/0312446373/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1447882670&sr=8-4&keywords=models+for+writersis the edition I have, there are more recent editions.

The Homework Helpers book Essays & Term Papers has a chapter on these, but only one student example essay in it. It's super bare bones.

http://www.amazon.com/Homework-Helpers-Essays-Papers-Career/dp/1601631405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447882932&sr=8-1&keywords=homework+helpers+essays+and+term+papers

• Like 2

Thank you!  That's exactly what I am looking for.  I will order it.  For the short term, would it be easy for you to share the title of the MLK Jr. piece?  I might be able to find it locally in a book or online.

I don't want bare bones examples or student written examples (unless they are excellent)

• Like 1

Oh, another great resource, from my shelf!  Common Threads: Core Readings by Method and Theme.  It has a whole chapter, with 3 samples, on Division or Analysis, and then another whole chapter on Classification.  This book is a step up from WWaT in depth and challenge, I had planned it for after WWaT is completed.  

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Threads-Readings-Method-Theme/dp/1457625318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447952257&sr=8-1&keywords=common+threads+core+readings+by+method+and+theme

• Like 1

I really appreciate all of these titles.  I am quite embarrassed to admit that not only had I heard about Common Threads (maybe from you!) I also had our local university library purchase it.  And then I forgot about it.  Picking that one up tonight and a Norton Reader of expository writing, maybe it will be similar to the non fiction.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a book called Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition by Rosa & Eschholz.  It includes examples of all the different types of essays.  Under Division and Classification it includes essays by MLK Jr., Judith Viorst, and James David Barber.  Is something like that what you are thinking of? This book complements WWaT nicely, with more models of each type of essay introduced in that book.

http://www.amazon.com/Models-Writers-Short-Essays-Composition/dp/0312446373/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1447882670&sr=8-4&keywords=models+for+writersis the edition I have, there are more recent editions.

Thanks!  There are a lot of positive reviews of this book (and a lot of inexpensive not-quite-latest editions at AbeBooks.com), and I picked up a copy too.  DS is finding WWaT an excellent text, and I'm hoping this will extend the teaching a little bit with more examples.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what would make a nice follow up for non-fiction writing after WWaT?  Texts, exercises, etc., but not busy work.  I'd really like for DS to become a good writer.  Although he comes up with really good ideas and has no trouble with grammar, oftentimes the product is rougher than it could be.  Perhaps I should get a tutor as the dynamic of "correcting" your own teenage son gets tiring for both of us, esp. for something a bit subjective.  He's interested in natural sciences and social sciences the most, but his interests are fairly broad. 

• Like 1

Well, from the many, many, many writing books on my shelf, we're planning on following WWaT with a quick run through Weston's Rulebook for Arguments, then we'll do They Say/I Say: Moves that Matter in Academic Writing.  It seems like the next logical step in progression of complexity as well as the next concepts I want to focus on.

http://www.amazon.com/They-Say-Academic-Writing-Readings/dp/0393912752/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448827525&sr=8-3&keywords=they+say+i+say

Later down the line we will do Common Threads and The New Oxford Guide to Writing, and I have Horner's Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition as well.

For style, we'll start with Zissner.  Later we'll read Steven Pinker's The Sense of Style.

For literature, I have The Art of Poetry, Writing Essays about Literature by Griffith, and Writing about Literature by Roberts.

• Like 1