Menu

Any suggestions for a guitar case?

redsquirrel

ds1 would like a guitar case for Christmas.  His guitar does have a case, it's the one that came with it.  It is a rather standard sort of hard case, black, with metal locks and a place inside for the picks and capo etc.  But it doesn't always lock and it seems sort of cheap.

He doesn't exactly go hiking with the thing, lol. So far he just takes it to the car, we drive to a lesson and he takes it out and bring it inside the teacher's house and then we come home.  Not exactly a dangerous life for a guitar.  But, I am sure he has visions of walking around, looking cool, with his guitar.

So, I looked on Amazon and there is a wide spread on cost. Any suggestions? Is there a better place to look other than Amazon? And I am guessing he wants the option of wearing it as a backpack, but I just don't want it broken. I can't afford to get him a new guitar any time soon.

The cardboard case he has now is better than nothing, but it's not very protective.  You could buy a hard case with padding inside or you could get him a padded gig bag for wearing on his back and for carrying.  The gig bag won't be as protective as the hard case, but it's a lot lighter.  Either way, check online at guitarcenter.com to find one with good reviews, then check Amazon for the same item and compare prices.  Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, and sometimes Guitar Center is cheaper.  Look to see if there is one made by the guitar manufacturer, as it might fit the guitar better than one by another company.  If you have a local Guitar Center, they may have something in stock; if not, it may be less expensive to have the case sent to the store.  FYI, if you buy something used off their website, you have to pay shipping, even to the store.

• Like 2

Thank you both so much. We have an excellent music store in town so I will check prices at guitar center and amazon first and then go to the local store with the guitar and see what they have.  I suspect a gig bag is what he wants.  I have found the local store's prices are comparable to what I can find online.  We also have a guitar only store, so I can also look there.

But thank you so much for giving me the directions I can go in and where to start looking. I really appreciate it