Menu

A Beka, BJU DVD curriculum for Bible & Science

happynurse

Hello, all. I am posting this for a friend of mine who homeschools. She doesn't visit any forums and likes to ask me questions because she knows I visit them way too much. :)

She has 3 boys - 2nd grade, 4 y/o, and 18 month old. She asked me about using A Beka or Bob Jones DVDs for Bible, Science, and possibly Spanish.

I haven't heard much about any of those programs. In fact, I wasn't aware they had DVDs for those subjects. 

So, does anyone have any insight? I'm assuming this is primarily for the 2nd grader, although she does do a bit with her 4 y/o as well. I'd love to give her feedback (general or specific) as well as other suggestions if you all have any to share.

Thank you in advance!

ETA: It is my understanding that she is looking for a little bit more independent work. That is why she is looking at some DVD based options. Thanks again!

You can see samples of the BJU video courses on the BJUPhomeschool.com website.  Each course will have samples.  The gr 2 science and heritage studies can be purchased separately or PAIRED.  Just for the grade 2 you can buy them paired.  At christmas the past few years they've run a $99 deal.  This means you'll get a year of access to the gr 2 science *and* heritage studies for just $99!  It's a great way to start out, just to see if you like it.

The courses are not meant to be totally independent.  They have a workbook to do, some Fly Higher activities and things to try, etc.  You can just watch, obviously, but it's more fun if you take the time to do those things when the video says.  

BJU courses are taught directly to the student.  I have *many* friends who use them who are *extremely* happy with them.  I've used *some*.  I got my ds the gr 2 paired heritage studies and science last year with the $99 deal, so we're working on finishing those up.  He enjoys them and we tend to do them in spurts.  I like how thorough they are, and he finds them incredibly engaging.

Abeka is a recorded class, as in a teacher talking to a class.  See some samples, but that's a big methodology difference.  

With those ages, she could do read alouds, Magic School Bus, and homeschool classes at her zoo.  Or go ahead and do the BJU, sure.  That's why I got it, because I felt pulled in so many directions.  For $99 plus the cost of the workbooks, you could get both courses, which I thought was a pretty good deal!  And the courses come with a e version of the text and tm.  They really are quite the deal at that price.