Menu

Uninterested Listing Agent, Fixer Upper Lowball?

beaners

We are looking at cheap houses to buy for cash and fix up. It is like pulling teeth to get basic information from listing agents. I get it. There are a lot of tire kickers and a really small commission for the trouble. But we are putting in an offer on *something* next week. I'm not going to ask hours worth of questions. I just need to know if there is any remaining plumbing, electric, HVAC in the building and if there is known major structural or roof damage. Then I will leave you alone. If you don't know, that's fine.

There is one house we are particularly interested in due to its size. It would be much easier for us to buy this house and renovate, adding accessibility features in the process, than it would be to find a finished house with the things we need. It has been listed for more than a year, closer to two. It needs a lot of work, but we have looked at worse. The listing time is a red flag, but the agent also said we didn't want that one. She was not trying to sell the property at all, even though I said we will be in the area and putting in an offer on something. The house is owned by an investment company out of state. If my husband walks through with the agent he is meeting (not the listing agent) and things look like what we expect, what percentage would you offer below the list price?