Menu

Describe hands-on in MFW

Linz1084

I'm trying to make decisions about curriculum next year for K and 1st. I hear that MFW is more hands-on than other curriculums like Sonlight, but what kind of hands on does this mean? More coloring pages and worksheets? My kids aren't a fan of coloring and whatnot, but would like a science experiment. Is the type of hands-on they offer something that is easily incorporated into a different curriculum? I am drawn to Sonlight, but the hands-on factor is the main thing that has me reconsidering. Thanks for any input you can offer!

My non coloring 4 year old and I love Sonlight. So so much. The cores starting with Core A have science experiments and you can add in anything you wish. A friend chose MFW as her kids love worksheets so its a good fit for them. It would be a terrible fit for my son. Sonlight has a fantastic return policy so if you are drawn to it why not try it out?

I've used MFW K and 1st two times now.  The last time was about 6 or 7 years ago, so I'm having a trip down memory lane.  There are some worksheets (after all it does include language arts in there and some other things that need paper), but that is not was the hands on activities mean in mfw in those years.   Some people might call the character/memory verses "hands on worksheets".  But that's not my memory lane of "hands on" in those years.  Instead, I remember making simple masks, and the "toilet paper roll penguin".  (I should try to link to a picture of that so you know I'm not super craft mom.)  Various food projects.   I remember the simple sun dial in Kindy that we made.  (pencil in mound of clay).. and moving rocks around the yard to chase shadows from the tree.   I remember a demo with flashlights and mirrors to understand the moon reflections.   I think most of that was from Kindy year.  I'm trying to remember first grade...  I remember food, timelines (which could count as worksheet).  There is some coloring involved too.   The math was hands on focus. and concrete teaching methods.   Sorry that my memory is fuzzy tonight.  Some of the hands on things I tend to remember from other years in the program.  But my youngest is at the end of her middle school years. 

oh yeah.. I was going to link to the penguin thing..  giggle.. you have to read the back story a bit on that post, not just laugh at my picture.  (and ps...  the little treasure box behind the penguin, was a craft the older children were doing in MFW's geography program that year..  oh wow..  it's the little things that I remember some times.  I feel very old tonight. sorry)

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35&p=46103p46103

You asked about using their stuff in another program.  I've definitely heard of people who use MFW and then add in SL books for reading.  (mfw does include quite a bit of library options, but some people prefer to go with SL on that).  I think it would be a lot of work to try to get mfw manuals just to pull out a few things here and there.     You could get the science books from mfw first grade and do that.  I think I've heard that SL uses some of those books and has a dvd with it? (I haven't cross compared to know all things).  Or get some library books that are experiments for youngers and just enjoy it at this age.   You can look through their message board in the ideas section (like the part I linked to with that very fond memory) for ideas on things to do.