Menu

Homeschooling for the first time - nice, steady progress

bfw0729

We are new to homeschooling. My kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. I guess I'm looking for people's experiences when they transitioned from a brick n mortar  school to homeschooling. I am truly amazed by the progress I have seen in the 11 weeks we have been homeschooling, especially for my one child, when compared with the progress at their previous school. The school they attended was a great and loving school - they did learn a great deal.

My one son (3rd grade) is not a very strong reader, although, his reading today is vastly better than where it was just months ago. While he was in 2nd grade, he showed some progress in his reading ability, but not a lot. I guess I'm trying to understand how the progress at home is that much greater - and I truly mean it. Is this mainly because of consistency and close monitoring? Generally, we just plug along in our day and get our work done, we try not to feel in a hurry - we have tomorrow.

Has anyone felt similarly in terms of greater progress at home than when their children were in a traditional school environment?

Yes, my kids progressed much quicker home than in B+M school (my older 2). Both had learning issues (ASD for one and ADD for the other), which made the school environment hard for them. Also, both had major gaps that needed specific work that was not targeted in the curriculum. So one-on-one with mom was good for them. Also, I focus very much on the basics (reading, writing, math, and oral skills) over colouring, health class and such (not that we don't do that stuff, just we work on basic skills with them) and that helped. The routine we have at home also makes things pretty smooth. Especially in the early grades, it's amazing what you can get done in a couple of hours a day.