Menu

Double major or one major with a minor?

mamato4

Just want to hear opinions from the board about this question: If interest level in either choice is the same, would you choose to double major in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering, or major in Mech Eng with a comp sci minor? I think I'm more focused on job prospects between the two choices.

Thanks!

I would recommend that the student make an appointment with the faculty advisors of both departments and hear their perspectives and experiences. They will have more pertinent information about job placement for graduates of their programs than anecdotes from this board.

The student should compare the amount of extra coursework required for each of the scenarios, see how much overlap there is; find out how many, and which, credits are required for the comp sci minor - would he just learn general programming within these credits, or have the opportunity to develop an emphasis area or acquire specialized expertise in a sub field?.

• Like 3

My son is a performing arts type, which I'm sure is different. However, he decided to double major (musical theatre, applied dance), because the minors for both of his preferred options didn't get to the classes in which he was most interested. Handling both is requiring care, because at his school they are actually different degrees. The musical theatre major is a B.F.A., and the applied dance is a B.A. So, there really isn't a lot of overlap in required courses. However, he entered the university with a year of dual enrollment and a couple of CLEP credits, and he is, therefore, on track to graduate in four years even with the dual majors.

• Like 1

I would recommend that the student make an appointment with the faculty advisors of both departments and hear their perspectives and experiences. They will have more pertinent information about job placement for graduates of their programs than anecdotes from this board.

The student should compare the amount of extra coursework required for each of the scenarios, see how much overlap there is; find out how many, and which, credits are required for the comp sci minor - would he just learn general programming within these credits, or have the opportunity to develop an emphasis area or acquire specialized expertise in a sub field?.

The first meeting will be with primary advisor pretty soon. We'll be having a discussion after that. Nothing has to be declared this year but ds talked to us about this last week so at least he's doing his research early.