Menu

Tractor info, please? Never thought I'd be asking this!

I have been snowed in more times than I can count this winter. I told my dh that I want a tractor for my birthday this summer, one with a bucket for utility work and a snow thrower to clear my very long driveway and road (.5 mile).

The guy who has been clearing my road at $90 a pop recommended at least a 30 hp tractor.

We live on a mountain slope so rolling over is a concern.

"Green acres is the place to be....." theme song running through my head.

We bought a John Deer 425 all wheel steer. It is amazing. It is very close to zero turn, but has all the benefits of a tractor. The snow blower is VERY easy to install and once mounted, pops off fairly easy at the end of season. Same with the mower deck. We have a 60" deck, but we mow approx. 5 acres.

It does have options like a bucket as you said you wanted. But, we have had no need for anything other than our snow blower (driveway is 500 ft. long). Husband would like a blade for when the snow is very heavy (wet snow doesn't work great with the blower)

It was expensive - maybe $10K, but we have had it for almost 7 years now, and have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Good luck=maybe you could find one used?

We bought a John Deer 425 all wheel steer. It is amazing. It is very close to zero turn, but has all the benefits of a tractor. The snow blower is VERY easy to install and once mounted, pops off fairly easy at the end of season. Same with the mower deck. We have a 60" deck, but we mow approx. 5 acres. quote]

But we do have a lot of brush that needs to be cleared for fire safety. I think the bucket may help to haul rock or moving dirt around when we build something like a deck or a greenhouse. I think that my dh will love it too but he is balking at the cost. Good to know that the snow blower pops off easily, I wouldn't want it on all year.

Maybe you would want a backhoe? You could probably get one of those used (really used) and it would have more stability maybe - even one like the tiny Kubota skid steers make one with a bucket.

as an excellent tractor. Could you mount a snow blower on a backhoe? I'm trying to get as much multiple-purpose use as possible.

My dh says go for a Montana. He is in love with our Montana tractors. They are excellent small tractors and will take many attachments (loader, snow blower, etc.) We have this one and this one (but older versions). It's bigger than you want, but you'll find many smaller options at their website.

My dh says go for a Montana. He is in love with our Montana tractors. They are excellent small tractors and will take many attachments (loader, snow blower, etc.) We have this one and this one (but older versions). It's bigger than you want, but you'll find many smaller options at their website.

Boy those are nice! They are more tractor than I need but thanks, I didn't even know about this brand. I think I need to have my dh talk to some other men who are "in love with their tractors" LOL. Seems to be the common denominator of men with tractors.