Menu

Question regarding PAL Reading

Guest bak879

I purchased the PAL Reading program in a package along with PAL: writing and All about Spelling. My daughter is nearly finished with the PAL Reading (we are not yet done with writing or AAS). My question is where do I go from here? I assumed there was a next level of the program but it seems as though they set you loose to create your own reading program from here. Should I transition to All About Reading level 2? I am new to this and feel a little lost. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Take the placement test for AAR if you want to go that route. If your child is starting to take off with reading, you could just keep reading and get your phonics via aas. If you go that route, you could purchase the AAR readers to go along with it. Iris there is a correlation chart somewhere that tells how to line them up.

Agree with the above. I'm not familiar with PAL, but I've used the first four levels of AAR.  It's a fantastic program, but it's not right for every child.  If you feel like your child "gets it" and doesn't need a ton of deliberate, structured phonics practice, you may not need to buy the whole program for her (although I highly recommend the readers in any level if you're having trouble finding stories she can read!!)  AAR has been perfect for my oldest son, but it was way too slow for my more natural reader.  Look through the sample pages and placement tests of AAR2 (and other levels?) to help you decide

ETA:  I used OPGTR for my child who basically taught himself how to read - just as a way to point out why words say what they do.  That may be the way you'd like to go?  There are so many options, if you don't want to create your own program, you won't have to :)

I think you might be confused. PAL-reading does not come with All about Spelling. It is PAL-writing that comes with All about spelling, and it says that you should do it 10 minutes a day until you finish, and then graduate on to the next All about Spelling book.  So you will eventually be done with PAL-Writing, but will continue to do spelling using All about Spelling (if you like it, that is!) through AAS level 7. The pacing will be specific to the child.

As far as PAL-Reading, if you finish all the Discovery cards in the back you can have your child read any book from the library (1st-2nd grade level) and just continue to challenge the reading level. Once done with PAL-Reading you do not need any more phonics instruction for reading.  

I hope this helps!!

I purchased the PAL Reading program in a package along with PAL: writing and All about Spelling. My daughter is nearly finished with the PAL Reading (we are not yet done with writing or AAS). My question is where do I go from here? I assumed there was a next level of the program but it seems as though they set you loose to create your own reading program from here. Should I transition to All About Reading level 2? I am new to this and feel a little lost. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I'd check the placement tests to see which level would be best if you decide to transition to AAR. Also, you can read a sample story from the previous level to make sure your child is fluently reading the previous level's materials as a double-check. Congrats on nearing the end of PAL reading!