Menu

Why does TabletClass Algebra teach topics in different order than Foerster? Does it matter? (Cross posted to HS board)

We hit a snag with slopes in Algebra using Tablet Class, so I pulled out our Foerster book for extra help/practice. But I noticed that graphing comes much later in the book with Foerster (chapter 7) than it does on TabletClass (chapter 3). I am wondering if there is a reason for this and whether there is an advantage to the sequence in Foerster. My son likes TabletClass but hasn't been doing as well as he historically has done in math. I am not sure whether it's his readiness level or if it's the curriculum. I am not a math person, although I did go through calculus in high school. But it's not my best subject. So I am not sure how to determine if we just need to switch books or if we need to go more slowly or ??

I believe Foerster addresses this sequencing choice (early intro of Quadratic Equation) in the Preface. If I recall, it allows students to tackle more realistic application problems that don't factor neatly. This is consistent with Foerster's reputation for having strong application problems. I'm not sure it really matters although some students might get confused by the quadratic equation and/or rely on it instead of practicing factoring. I would try to address the issue in Tabletclass in lieu of switching if you can. What topic is your son struggling with? That might help others to respond more specifically.

• Like 1

This is a double post in *this* forum as well.  I answered the same question here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/572155-tabletclass-algebra-scope-sequence-question/

Bottom line, I wouldn't get overly concerned with order.  It doesn't really matter.  Other well known texts differ as well.  It just means its time to dig in more at this stage of the course.