Menu

Forum answers for online class, would love your thoughts

DS will be 9 in November.  This is his first Athena's class, (SOTW 3).  He has been answering all of the writing prompts, and improving as he goes. I know they are VERY conversational, he writes like we talk. :lol:   I haven't pushed him too much on that issue because it's an internet forum.

I would love tips on how to guide him in a gentle way.  He has always proclaimed to "HATE!!!" writing, so the fact that he's been willing to even answer these is a huge step.  He's very repetitive as well, which I've been trying to work on.  I also see that he needs help organizing the different ideas when he answers. 

What else?  TIA!!!

"I think that the Kohinoor Diamond should be returned to India. Since England took it from India, I think they should give it back. After India gets it back, I also think it would be cool if they put it in a museum. I also think India should have it returned because it was not nice for the English to just go and take it from them. I mean, if they took it from them in 1905, it's not too late for the English to give it back, right?"

"I think the Black Hole was a "hole" because I think it was real. I also think that part of how they suffered was the fact that they were so tightly squeezed together. I also think that it was not fair for the Nawab's soldiers (I believe they did it) to imprison 146 innocent people in that small of a room when there were all of those people. I also think that it was not nice for the British to attack the Nawab's soldiers when they were imprisoned. It also did not have much air."

"I would have invented a room-cleaning robot that, when you get it, has already been programed to clean your room. But if you wanted it to sort your building toys, you gotta program it to do that yourself. Don't worry, it would be easy. You would just go to Type In Program (TIP for short), and type in Sort Building Toys and there you go. It would also have a fuzz detector which, when fuzz was detected, would activate the vacuum that it was attached to. That's what I would invent, a room-cleaning robot."

• Like 2

Oh my goodness. In the least creepy way possible, he is totally adorable and I want to just pick him up and swing him around!

I gave Ds a list of transition words/phrases and told him he couldn't repeat until he had used at least three. It helped with the repetative usage issue. You can find such lists with a quick googling.

It seems that he is trying to conclude by basically repeating, rather than resummarizing. It could honestly be that he knows some kind of conclusion and resumming is necessary, but does not get exactly how to do it.

Those were my initial thoughts. His ideas are great. His voice is strong (that is often a tough one for many kids). So there is quite a good start.

P.S. Google 9 year old writing samples and you can see what "normal" looks like. This will help whenever you are worried :)

• Like 2

I'll also suggest that you go into the Athena's boards and see what is typical there. There is quite a range, and your DS is definitely well within it. What I found was that my writing phobic, but competitive DD improved dramatically just by having regular reasons to write that she cared about, and that she became a much better and more comfortable writer through the A3 classes, despite the lack of teacher feedback directly on writing skills.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness. In the least creepy way possible, he is totally adorable and I want to just pick him up and swing him around!

I gave Ds a list of transition words/phrases and told him he couldn't repeat until he had used at least three. It helped with the repetative usage issue. You can find such lists with a quick googling.

It seems that he is trying to conclude by basically repeating, rather than resummarizing. It could honestly be that he knows some kind of conclusion and resumming is necessary, but does not get exactly how to do it.

Those were my initial thoughts. His ideas are great. His voice is strong (that is often a tough one for many kids). So there is quite a good start.

P.S. Google 9 year old writing samples and you can see what "normal" looks like. This will help whenever you are worried :)

You are sweet!  He's definitely an entertaining kid, he fits in well with the Athena's kids. :lol:  

I love the idea of the list of transition words, I think it's probably one of those things, that he's just not read enough to have internalized that kind of writing. He would probably appreciate the help!

I think you're right about the repeating to conclude.  He pointed out the repetition with this last one, and we were brain storming on other ways he can express the same idea.  I'll keep that in mind as well!

I didn't even realize you can google 9 year old writing samples, thanks for the tip!

I'll also suggest that you go into the Athena's boards and see what is typical there. There is quite a range, and your DS is definitely well within it. What I found was that my writing phobic, but competitive DD improved dramatically just by having regular reasons to write that she cared about, and that she became a much better and more comfortable writer through the A3 classes, despite the lack of teacher feedback directly on writing skills.

I have looked at the other kids' writing from time to time, and it is a wide range.  He is getting more comfortable expressing ideas in writing, which was well worth the cost of the course.  I'm interested to see his writing at the end.