Menu

CLE 600 to Saxon Algebra 1/2 - checking in!

Okay, so I had spent a lot of time here over the previous years going back and forth, trying to figure out what math to go to after CLE.  I left CLE because they spread their pre-a over two years and I only wanted 1 year of pre-a.  I wanted Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  I also wanted to stick with one math through high school if possible, and CLE does not yet have Sunrise editions of any further classes.

I eventually gave my DD (now age 12, 7th grade) a placement test for Saxon.  Last year, while she was in CLE 603, she was close to placing into Saxon 8/7, so I did some thinking and made an educated decision and bought Algebra 1/2 with the DIVE disc for her.  I purchased the set by My Father's World, which includes their lesson plans.  Please note, their lesson plans do not assign all the problems in the problem sets.  I am aware that a lot of Saxon users say that it is imperative for kids to do every problem, but my DD can be slow.  I decided to have her do the assigned problems, and if she began to encounter difficulties or not understand concepts, I would start to assign all the problems.  So far, so good.

Based on a suggestion from a board member, I watch the DIVE lesson alongside her.  Then she goes and does the assigned work.  

I would not consider her to be advanced or gifted in math.  When we first started homeschooling, math was a producer of many tears and tantrums!  I seriously wondered if she had learning problems.  

She completed Test 8 today and got 100% on it.  She is easily understanding everything introduced so far. She feels confident and competent in math, which is one of the major reasons I loved CLE so much.   Hopefully this will continue!  I'll try to check back and update this a few more times throughout the year.

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing!  I have a 3rd grader that I just switched to CLE and I plan to switch him back to Saxon at some point.  I'm glad the transition went well! 

I did want to add, though, that I have an older kiddo who did Algebra 1/2 last year and only did 1/2 the problems.  It was and wasn't a problem, if that makes sense.  :)  He started out great, in fact, we even skipped forward a few lessons because he still felt like it was all review.  We only skipped maybe two tests forward and he took the tests and passed, so we moved on.  BUT, as the year progressed, I noticed that his test grades did fall a bit.  He was still passing and sometimes getting an 85% or 90%, but it was the errors he made that made me realize that he really *should* be doing all of the lesson problems...not half. 

So, just a word of warning that doing 100% of the problems really does help in the long run.  He does all of them now and is doing fantastic. 

Good luck!  I hope I'm able to transition my younger one just as easily!

• Like 1