Menu

CW users--how does R&S work alongside? Does it?

Alana in Canada

We've started R&S3--and it's OK.

I'm wondering if I should continue with it as we go through Classical Writing--or if it would be best to switch to using Harvey's as they rescommend?

I want to streamline my language arts as much as possible, so I'm inclined to switch. On the other hand, perhaps we need to continuity of the same program?

How does classical writing use Harvey's? Is it integrated or are you doing them fairly separately, anyway?

I am using CW now for my 3rd and 5th gr. It is not working fo rus. The grammar lessons are subpar compared to R & S. I have Harvey's but it is not very well organized. CW does not make referrences to it, soit is hard for me to figure out where the kids are to find the answers to fill in the blanks for the grammar questions. Maybe I am missing something, but I am not happy with it. I like the concept, and may come up with my own writing curriculum. They do get a lot of grammar study through Latin (LSII), so that helps. R & S is great , but it is a lot of work that we end up not doing it all. I really believe that the more great books they read, the better writers and spellers they will become. (Kind of like studying great art will cause them to become better at understanding it and emulating it.) Next year we will be doing lots more reading, more copy work, continue with Latin (Henle) and Greek, start French, continue with Saxon math, but not worry about creative writing! They are just not ready. (Too much output that they can handle...)

I'm a BIG fan of Classical Writing and a BIGGER fan of R&S Grammar. I have used R&S Grammar 3, 4, 5, & 6 along with CW Aesop B, Homer A, & Beginning Poetry A. I am very pleased with the grammar and writing concepts that my boys know, and how they apply what they know. My 6th turned in a book report yesterday that I thought was very well done. Both of my older boys wrote Haikus as part of their Beg Poetry A assignment this past week. Of course I'm a little biased, but I thought they were cleverly done. My 5th grader incorporated the word gymnosperm (from his Apologia Botany lesson) into his Haiku.

It took a little while to get used to the flow and progress of CW. It requires teacher guidance; you can't just hand it to them to do on their own. Because I lack writing and grammar skills, it has been a challenge for me, but I'm learning a lot too.

I have Harvey's grammar. I even went through it on my own. I didn't care for the layout or the lack of review. Even though I went through the assignments, I couldn't teach my boys any more grammar than I could before. Since I've been doing R&S grammar with my boys, I have learned more grammar than I ever knew after my own 16 years of schooling. It's repetitive and each grade builds upon the itself. That's what makes the program successful in my opinion.

We study grammar separately from our CW work. So far, I haven't encountered anything in CW that hasn't already been covered in R&S grammar. CW is another way to make sure they know the grammar concepts, and that they can apply that knowledge to a story and not just a random sentence.

Of course our time is limited during the day. Because I put so much focus and energy into grammar and writing, I don't spend as much time on history and science. I think that if I ground my boys in the basics of grammar and writing now, it will pay off in high school when the focus will then become history/literature and science.

I use GWG 3 with Aesop for my 3rd grader. My 6th grader has finished Winston 1 and has a very good grammar background. So, CW with Harvey's is enough for the 6th grader. Homer does a great deal of diagramming, parsing ,etc, so I feel comfortable using Harvey's as a review. I do not feel comfortable using Harvey's as my primary however. GWG is much more indepth and works very, very well with CW. next year (4th grade) we will do CWG 4 with Aesop B and Beginning Poetry (if we finish Aesop B as early as I expect we will). Not sure yet what we will do with 7th grade grammar and Homer. Maybe continue as we are. But, if I find we are lacking or forgetting, I will incorporate something else.

Big sigh of relief here!

Thank you both--just the information I needed!

I totally understand your frustrations Fishnoises--I've been putting it off and putting it off cause I'm scared of it! But I think we will start next week with my "4th grader" in Aesop. I hope it isn't "too much" for him. I hope to take it at his pace.

I don't think the "workbook" is a good fit for us. It makes it into a separate program, where what I want to do is integrate it into our own spelling and grammar.

I like CW in that it is perfectly customizable if you want it to be--at least Aesop looks as if it is--It's good to know that continues.

And Beth--thanks so much! I am "grammer-illiterate" and I LOVE R&S!

So, my decision is made. whew. I'll continue with R&S unless someone tells me it's impossible!

Oh, thanks everyone. This is something I've been a bit worried about; we're doing R&S 3 and Aesop A right now and I love R&S and want to stick with it. I looked at a sample of Harvey's online and promptly hated it, so I was hoping that it would all work out. I'm very excited about CW and it's one of my daughter's favorite things.