Menu

SAT in January?

It's a hard call. My ds (also in 11th) is signed up to the old SAT in November. Then if he wants to take it again, he can do so in January. For my ds, I'd like him to have a chance to take the same SAT for a second time, if he isn't happy with his score. We visited a reach school for him a few weeks ago, and the admissions person said that they'll accept either old or new SAT scores. They also said they superscore, but they won't superscore across old-new. So if he took the old one once and the new one once, they won't superscore that.

Does your dd know what schools she is interested in? Do you know if they superscore? Does she have a preference for the old vs. the new SAT? If she's not sure, taking a practice test of each might be a good idea.

Does your dd know what schools she is interested in? Do you know if they superscore? Does she have a preference for the old vs. the new SAT? If she's not sure, taking a practice test of each might be a good idea.

Are there practice tests of both online somewhere?

We bought a prep book that has practice tests of the new ones.  Where would I get the old ones?

Also, I can I get clarification on scoring?  If she takes a test and scores poorly, then takes it again and scores better, is the first score still "out there"?  Also, if she takes ACT and SAT and does better on one than the other, can we choose which one we want to submit to a college, or again, are both scores already out there?

We bought a prep book that has practice tests of the new ones.  Where would I get the old ones?

Also, I can I get clarification on scoring?  If she takes a test and scores poorly, then takes it again and scores better, is the first score still "out there"?  Also, if she takes ACT and SAT and does better on one than the other, can we choose which one we want to submit to a college, or again, are both scores already out there?

Here is one practice test of the old SAT:https://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-practice-test. I know there are new SAT practice tests out there too, probably both at the college board and at Khan academy.

I'm not totally sure about the answers to your scoring questions. Maybe someone else can answer them. I'd be curious to know the answers too. Actually I'm pretty sure if she takes both ACT and SAT you can choose which one to submit.

If you have a good public library, it probably has books with old sample tests.

As regards scoring, some colleges require that the applicant submit ALL test scores.  If you already know which colleges your child might apply to, you should check their website or call.

Regards,

Kareni