Menu

Precalculus Test Questions

No

ETA: if I were allowing my student to use notes, I would design a completely different exam where pattern matching with previously worked examples would not be helpful at all. It is completely possible to construct an open book/open notes test, but it would be much more difficult and with problems that require creative problem solving, not recall.

I frequently write two-part tests. In the first part, the problems must be worked without the aid of any formula sheet or calculator. In the second part (the applications section) the problems are far more challenging and I provide them with a basic formula sheet. My students submit the first part and then pick up the second part, which has a formula sheet stapled to it. It makes grading slightly more challenging but my classes are small enough that I can do this. 

I would not let them use notes or the textbook. Every now and then they ask and I post a "sample open-book/notes exam" that I have written and usually they decide that this would be a terrible idea. It is all creative problem-solving, proofs, and word problems. 

• Like 1