Menu

My new sked that I am so excited about

I can't believe how excited I am about our new sked.

I took my two high schoolers' classes and sked them out 1.5 hrs per class with and hour lunch break. 4 classes are 1.5 hrs and 2 (Latin & Spanish) are 45min per day. It has been one week and so far it has worked marvelously. THey also ea have 1/2 hr piano practice.

This sked is 8a-5p approx and incl a 15min Family Bible time. My goal was to lengthen the day, give them longer time blocks per subject (to dive in deeper and have more time to really get a good start on an assignment) and lessen the night time homework. I don't know why I didn't think of this before - so far I am very pleased. Night time homework is close to an hour or so and maybe 2hrs max on the weekends.

Of course, we are only on the first week?

Anyone else doing this? Or done it before?

Comments, Pros, Cons?

Give me lots of feedback. I need a good sked as I have 3 youngers that are still not getting the attention I desire to give them as far as schooling.

LIsaj

I can't believe how excited I am about our new sked.

I took my two high schoolers' classes and sked them out 1.5 hrs per class with and hour lunch break. 4 classes are 1.5 hrs and 2 (Latin & Spanish) are 45min per day. It has been one week and so far it has worked marvelously. THey also ea have 1/2 hr piano practice.

This sked is 8a-5p approx and incl a 15min Family Bible time. My goal was to lengthen the day, give them longer time blocks per subject (to dive in deeper and have more time to really get a good start on an assignment) and lessen the night time homework. I don't know why I didn't think of this before - so far I am very pleased. Night time homework is close to an hour or so and maybe 2hrs max on the weekends.

Of course, we are only on the first week?

Anyone else doing this? Or done it before?

Comments, Pros, Cons?

Give me lots of feedback. I need a good sked as I have 3 youngers that are still not getting the attention I desire to give them as far as schooling.

LIsaj

I am so glad your schedule is working for you! My dc work so much better when they have a schedule, even if it is a loose one.

I have everyone on an excel spread sheet from 6:00 am until 9:00 pm. I schedule their subjects so that one is doing an activity on their own while I am working with someone else (this prevents me from being dogpiled by needy children). We live in the country to we all have lots of chores, plus they have outside activities, so I even schedule in driving time. That way every knows who is feeding horses, when they should be ready to hop in the truck, and how many books to bring for the drive. If it is blank that means free time. If they are done early, they may either get ahead on the next item or have free time until their next subject/chore/activity. It looks regimented to the outsider, (and my oldest says, 'there is a reason those little squares are called cells") but it actually allows us to accomplish more and have more time to play.

I am so glad your schedule is working for you! My dc work so much better when they have a schedule, even if it is a loose one.

I have everyone on an excel spread sheet from 6:00 am until 9:00 pm. I schedule their subjects so that one is doing an activity on their own while I am working with someone else (this prevents me from being dogpiled by needy children). We live in the country to we all have lots of chores, plus they have outside activities, so I even schedule in driving time. That way every knows who is feeding horses, when they should be ready to hop in the truck, and how many books to bring for the drive. If it is blank that means free time. If they are done early, they may either get ahead on the next item or have free time until their next subject/chore/activity. It looks regimented to the outsider, (and my oldest says, 'there is a reason those little squares are called cells") but it actually allows us to accomplish more and have more time to play.

Boy do I love that "cell" comment :(). But I'd really like to see your evening sked. My sked *dies* about 5p when Dad gets home. One reason is Dad is not structured ... but also, my teens are busy 3+ nights a week :()

We also live in the country altho we don't have farm animals or heavy outside chores. But, I do like a reasonably clean house and lots of help from the children on the laundry and running the household. So far the one problem with my new 1.5 hr per subject sked is that our day is so full that my high schoolers are not cleaning as much as they used to.

If you would feel open to emailing me your sked, I'd love to see it.

I can email mine if anyone wants to see it (it is in Microsoft Publisher, *not Word*). My email is ljdeerpark@aol.com

lisaj