Menu

John Hopkins CTY for AP Classes

Has anyone used CTY for AP classes? Do the classes only use the lectures from Thinkwell? I'm presuming there is more to the classes than just watching lectures. 

We have been happy with CTY Spanish, so I've been considering using CTY for some AP classes as well. I'm wondering how they compare with PA Homeschoolers. 

Anyone have CTY AP experiences to share?

• Like 1

We never used CTY for AP classes, but I have used some of the other online classes. The high school biology class used Plato's biology, but CTY added a lab component and a research paper if I am remembering correctly. My guess is that the AP classes would have other assignments added to the Thinkwell lectures. I would call CTY and ask for a copy of the syllabus.

• Like 1

I contacted CTY about the AP classes. There are assignments in addition to the videos and there is a teacher available, but I get the impression it's very different from their language courses. We will probably stick with CTY for Spanish, but PA Homeschoolers is probably a better fit for AP. DD prefers interaction with a teacher, as opposed to just watching videos. 

Do you have the impression that only Foreign Language is interactive ?

Yes, my impression is that foreign language classes are by far the most interactive. My understanding about the other classes is that teachers are available by email or phone, but there are no classes, daily emails, etc. Follow the syllabus, do the work, turn it in. PA Homeschoolers seems like a much better deal. 

Someone please correct me if you've had a CTY AP class with lots of interaction.

• Like 1