Menu

S/O Are you "Helicopter Parent" material?

I was searching the NEA website for their stance on parents on school property and came across this article about "Helicopter Parents." Maybe I am being thin-skinned, but I found it extreeeeeemely patronizing to parents who care about their kids.

http://www.nea.org/neatoday/0709/helicopterparents.html

Am I over-reacting?

No I don't think you are over reacting. This quote made me seriously irate:

In her book, Wiseman goes into the minds of helicopter parents. For example, when a parent says “I’m my child’s best advocate—I’m acting in the best interests of my child,” Wiseman deciphers the true meaning: “I’m the only person who can be trusted to do right by my child. I have to keep close tabs on everyone else to be sure my child isn’t undermined, unfairly treated, or denied resources or opportunities that are rightly his.”

I WAS a helicopter parent. And thank goodness I was because otherwise my child would still be in school and miserable.

As a former public/private school teacher (before I had kids, which makes a difference.) I had some negative experiences with helicopter parents. I could give multiple examples, but here's two off of the top of my head:

--A parent going in an empty classroom and getting the grade book to write down grades of other students to compare to their own child.

--Middle school parents that threw fits because their child should have an exception to "X" homework/test retake/late work rule because of......whatever.

I do agree with what the Weber parent was getting involved with, her child being stuck in a corner because he was too advanced. I would be throwing a fit about that.

But, there is a little bit of "You are sending your child to school to learn in a group situation and not everything is going to be done to maximize your child's experience, but sometimes there must be compromises for the good of the class" that I also feel. That's one reason my children are not in school.:D

As someone who taught in public schools for 12 years and currently works in administration I can tell you that teachers do not have a high opinion of parents in general. When they say they want "parental involvement" what they mean is they want to have contact with you only when your kid acts up in class or they need a chaperone for a field trip. Other than that, they just wish you would go away.

I was that mom in the article and my son was that kid. My school district told me they had NOTHING extra to offer my gifted son and that I should just be glad he's not special ed. (and that is a direct quote) That's how I started homeschooling.

ETA: I am a helicopter mom and proud of it.

I am definitely a "helicopter parent" [d(14) is in a school] and, what's more, I think they clearly need more of them.

Their "helicopter parent" is the supportive,involved parent they keep saying they want.

BTW, I don't think they are using the same definition of "helicopter parent" as everyone else I have heard using the term. The parent in that article is not hovering; she is reacting to an obvious mistreatment of her child.