Menu

Elemental Science or Rainbow Science

kolamum

Talk to me about Elemental Science & Rainbow science..

I can see from samples Elemental Science is 2 or 5 day depending on how you break it down. We'd need the Logic Stage. I can't tell from the sample what, if anything, is used aside from the spines. We own the spines, which is cool, but is that really all that is used? How hard will it be to round up the science experiment supplies? I noticed they are sold out of kits, & may not be able to ship to me anyway..

Rainbow Science.. reading through the samples & like what I see. But.. Is there a schedule? I don't see one, but I may need to pursue more & give up making tea. ;)  How many experiments are there each week? Will it be difficult for me to obtain those supplies if a kit can't be shipped to me? How many dissections {if any}? We have 2 people who will most likely pass out if they are present for this {one of them is a student..}? Is there a large jump from Rainbow to Spectrum? Is this young or old earth based or are they just quiet about the whole fiasco?

Not sure I can help you....we used Elemental Science, Biology for the Grammar Stage in 1st grade. Yes, you will need the recommended books (experiment book/spines) plus the teacher's guide and student notebook. The items scheduled for the week were easily accomplished in 2 days. On particularly interesting topics, we added extra books from the library. I also purchased the experiment supply kit, but most items are things you may already have around the house or can easily obtain. I just like the kits because it saves me time. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks. :)

The kits are currently sold out so they aren't an option according the ES website. I noticed that the Grammar Stage seemed to offer more books then the Logic stage which was a little disappointing, but I suppose that leaves room to add more in if one went with the programme. 

In general, I'm just struggling for a decent science curriculum for Grades 7 & upward.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In general, I'm just struggling for a decent science curriculum for Grades 7 & upward.

Me, too...

I've heard mixed reviews about Elemental, but my youngest has used their living books series and liked it.  Do you mind if I ask what you decided to use? Are you happy with your choice?

We used Elemental Biology for the Logic Stage. We mixed up the order of the units so we did some of the outdoor stuff when it was nice here & the neutral stuff during winter months. It was ok.

We used Rainbow (year 1) last year. It was definitely not secular. Labs were fine to do. Lab kit was phenomenal. Wouldn't have done it without the lab kit. No schedule, but easy to figure one out on your own. (Two lessons in the book and one lab each week.)

• Like 2

Me, too...

I've heard mixed reviews about Elemental, but my youngest has used their living books series and liked it.  Do you mind if I ask what you decided to use? Are you happy with your choice?

Right now we're using BkSk with one child & a bit of hodge podge with the other. We were using Noeo with them both, but I found that the ages/grades were just off. I don't mind BkSk, but they only have one more level so I'm just not sure what we'll do.. I have the resources to put something together, but I lack the courage as science is my weakest subject.

We've tried Apologia {older} & we weren't pleased with it. I get that it's one of the bests out there, but.. I looked into Rainbow, but there's a HUGE issue I have based on the sample alone. I've looked at Elemental & I suspect it would work for us & we'd be fine; I'd be 100% sold on it if it had a few more books dragged into it to be honest.

I'm not opposed to a Christian curriculum at all, I just find that they aren't living up to the science standards I want because they are busy focusing on the God who created them. I'd like to think by the time my children are in Middle & High school they all ready know that & don't need to be reminded on a daily basis.. I hate saying that because I don't want to bag Christian materials, but it is what it is for our family.

• Like 1

Right now we're using BkSk with one child & a bit of hodge podge with the other. We were using Noeo with them both, but I found that the ages/grades were just off. I don't mind BkSk, but they only have one more level so I'm just not sure what we'll do.. I have the resources to put something together, but I lack the courage as science is my weakest subject.

We've tried Apologia {older} & we weren't pleased with it. I get that it's one of the bests out there, but.. I looked into Rainbow, but there's a HUGE issue I have based on the sample alone. I've looked at Elemental & I suspect it would work for us & we'd be fine; I'd be 100% sold on it if it had a few more books dragged into it to be honest.

I'm not opposed to a Christian curriculum at all, I just find that they aren't living up to the science standards I want because they are busy focusing on the God who created them. I'd like to think by the time my children are in Middle & High school they all ready know that & don't need to be reminded on a daily basis.. I hate saying that because I don't want to bag Christian materials, but it is what it is for our family.

Thank you for following up.  I understand the issue with the Christian curric.  We are Christian and using Apologia YES, but I don't want to use their older guides.  I'm really struggling to find what I want and Elemental looks good, but some have said that it's really boring!

I think my kids' favorite thing this year was reading the book "ITCH."  Whoever recommended it on this board was so right...awesome book that really brought Chemistry to life! I would love to find more great books like that for other subjects, but then I also need the structure for them to really study science.  I don't know...it's so hard!!