Menu

Is anyone familiar with Colorado's public universities and colleges?

Greta

What kind of art? CU leaves very heavily towards modern art, as a friend learned to her chagrin.

Oh, wow, my daughter detests modern art. She likes traditional drawing and painting: figures, landscapes, that sort of thing. The only modern thing that she likes is illustration (mostly manga), and I have tried to encourage her in that direction simply because it seems more practical and potentially lucrative than more traditional art. But I don't know if my perception is true.

Would you happen to know about Ft. Lewis College in Durango? Or if any other colleges in CO lean more toward the traditional?

Oh, and may I ask which CU campus your friend attended? Or are they both (all?) that way? (I know of two campuses: Denver and Colorado Springs. Is that all?)

The campus in Boulder is the flagship of the University of Colorado. Margaret is right about their leaning toward modern art. I know that CSU has wonderful professors in textile arts and really interesting stuff going on with that. CSU is in Fort Collins, a nice college town about an hour north of Denver.

I don't know about art in other colleges, sorry. But I have lived in CO nearly all my life, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

The campus in Boulder is the flagship of the University of Colorado. Margaret is right about their leaning toward modern art. I know that CSU has wonderful professors in textile arts and really interesting stuff going on with that. CSU is in Fort Collins, a nice college town about an hour north of Denver.

I don't know about art in other colleges, sorry. But I have lived in CO nearly all my life, feel free to PM me.

Oh, thanks, how did I not figure out that Boulder was the main campus?? Thanks for setting me straight! :)

We currently live in Albuquerque, but all three of us absolutely adore Colorado. My husband has climbed all 54 fourteeners, and I'm sure he would love to do it again. My daughter wants to go to school overseas, but in the very likely event that we can't afford that, Colorado is her close second choice. My hubby is eligible to retire from his current job this coming spring, so we are considering relocating to CO and establishing residency there before dd would graduate high school. So now the question is, "where in CO?"

We are looking at University of Northern Colorado (in Greeley) for their Performing Arts program. I'm not familiar with their Fine Arts program, though. I'm not even familiar with Greeley but we are going for a visit next month.

Thanks for mentioning this, I will look into it! I would love to hear about your visit, if you don't mind posting again then.

• Like 1

Make sure you visit Greeley before applying. It has an aroma that many find unbearable. It's funny you should bring up Ft. Lewis--our friend who left CU Boulder went to FL! She loved it--she wanted to draw from real life and loved it there. UNC IS well-known for their music program. The whole school leans heavily towards teacher training, as that's what they started as as an institution. UNC is not selective at all, but you need to realize that CO is lousy at supporting higher education. If you want mountains, UNC is a long ways away. If you're looking for a small school, near mountains, look at Ft. Lewis, Western State Colorado University, or Colorado Mesa.

Thank you so much, Margaret! This is a huge help. :)

Do you live in Colorado or in WUE? If not, you may as well look at private schools in the state as well, since you would be paying out of state tuition at the public schools and not be eligible for in-state financial aid.

I bought Rugg's Recommendations for a quick-read on selectivity and majors of a bunch of schools. It's not a complete or perfect reference, but it was very helpful for a start at a college list for DD.

• Like 1

Do you live in Colorado or in WUE? If not, you may as well look at private schools in the state as well, since you would be paying out of state tuition at the public schools and not be eligible for in-state financial aid.

We're currently in New Mexico, which is a WUE state, though I've had a hard time figuring out how that program works and whether we would qualify. Is it only for students whose home state university does not offer the particular degree or program that they're interested in, or does it work for just anyone?

Either way, though, my husband is eligible for retirement in less than a year, and we are giving very serious thought to relocating at that time. So we could establish residency in CO before she would start college.

I bought Rugg's Recommendations for a quick-read on selectivity and majors of a bunch of schools. It's not a complete or perfect reference, but it was very helpful for a start at a college list for DD.

Thanks, I will look for it!

Okay, I was trying to figure out WUE from the mentions of it on various schools' websites, and it was confusing. Turns out, if you go to WUE's own website, it's much clearer! So that would be a possibility for us, but it's not a guarantee.

Some schools do limit WUE scholarships, others will give them automatically to anyone who is from a participating state. It has a lot to do with supply and demand.

• Like 1

My middle dd is on WUE--CO to WY. She pays 150% of in-state tuition, which is less than in-state at CSU. Be aware that WUE is not available to transfer students. We had friends that got caught in that. There's at least one school (Cal Maritime) which gives WUE for all admitted students, probably because no other WUE states have a maritime program. Most schools have a cutoff of 28 ACT to be considered. Another thing to be aware of--enrollment has to be continuous. This is a problem for dd as she had to drop out a semester for 2 more surgeries. She can petition to get it back, and it's usually granted for medical reasons.

Thanks for the info! Hmmm . . . haven't really thought about WY. That might be worth considering too.