Menu

WttW required before Excellence in Literature?

Ds is finishing WWS1 and LL-LOTR this year for 8th grade.  Next summer I am hoping to do a brief (read: inadequate) run-through of MCT Voyage level before high school.

I am really interested in using EiL, but I am wondering if it is essential to do WttW first?  He will also be doing WWS2 next year, so we would pick and choose the writing in EiL to do, and possibly stretch it out to summer.  But WttW would make things more rushed.  Could we skip it?  Also, will it be too much to do both WWS2 and EiL?  He is more of a STEM kid, and is not a fast reader.

No WttW isn't needed at all. I've used EIL with both my kids and we've never looked at WttW. They do need writing skills, but having completed WWS and working on WWS2 will be fine. You can pace EIL any way you like. The units are each independent, so you can mix and match from different years and also do just the number that works for you. I like their pace, but if you are doing WWS2 and need to slow it down giving more time for each unit thus less time per day, there is no problem with that at all. You can pick units to drop or just extend to the summer to finish. It is well scheduled and also easy to adjust :).

Thank you both!  IEW recommended WttW before using the American or British units that they sell:  I'm glad to hear we don't need to do that!  I already feel like there is too much to do in too little time!

I will have to see how best to pace it once we start.  He currently does 3 days of WWS1 each week, but he spends a lot of time doing the writing, and making sure he's done a good job. I would rather he is putting his best effort forward and doing 3 days rather than rushing through and finishing the course without mastery.  

He is in his last year of piano now, so next year when we start EiL he will be able to apply that timeeach day to reading instead, which should make it doable.

I hope I can find the time to read the books as well!

• Like 2

Thank you both!  IEW recommended WttW before using the American or British units that they sell:  I'm glad to hear we don't need to do that!  I already feel like there is too much to do in too little time!

I will have to see how best to pace it once we start.  He currently does 3 days of WWS1 each week, but he spends a lot of time doing the writing, and making sure he's done a good job. I would rather he is putting his best effort forward and doing 3 days rather than rushing through and finishing the course without mastery.  

He is in his last year of piano now, so next year when we start EiL he will be able to apply that timeeach day to reading instead, which should make it doable.

I hope I can find the time to read the books as well!

One suggestion, EIL Introduction to Lit is easier and has shorter writing assignments than the other levels. I would use it first while he is still doing WWS. You could still slow it down a little and not do all the units or skip some writing assignments if necessary, but it really is an intro. The books are the easiest and are generally enjoyable. It will probably pair well for you.

• Like 1