Menu

MIT Opencourseware transcripting question

If your student self studied MIT OCW Scholar courses for high school,

1. how did you transcript this if she or he finished the course in one semester but took about 120 hours? Did you give it 1 high school credit or 0.5?

2. did you use course description info from the MIT OCW site, provide a link etc? E.g. course that kiddo is using does not use a textbook, should I just state that in course descriptions?

Thank you!

Well, my kid did not take such a class, but I'm familiar enough with the coursework.

I'd give one full credit.

I list the course name, then a brief description (okay, 2-3 paragraphs, maybe not so brief), and then list any materials used.  In lieu of a book, I would type the course name and number, along with any other materials the student used for the course.

Pretty much the same as above.

I list the course as whatever I want to call it on my transcript - may of may not be the same. In the course description, I describe what was taught and I list the MIT course at least in the resources in lieu of a textbook and might mention it in the body of the course description.

We use MIT-OCW quite a bit, and our rule of thumb is based on comparability.  If the course is "learn as you feel like it," and grading is not comparable to a college course's, then it's not a full credit -- it's supplemental.  If the coursework suggested is used, as well as the tests provided by the course, then it's the real deal, and deserves a full credit.

I can't say for sure, but I get a strong feeling that MIT-OCW is like a regular college course, and not as rigorous as the actual course at MIT.  The questions addressed in the videos are often much more advanced than the problems offered up to the "scholar" online courses.  Still, the material is legitimately college-level.

• Like 1

We use MIT-OCW quite a bit, and our rule of thumb is based on comparability.  If the course is "learn as you feel like it," and grading is not comparable to a college course's, then it's not a full credit -- it's supplemental.  If the coursework suggested is used, as well as the tests provided by the course, then it's the real deal, and deserves a full credit.

I can't say for sure, but I get a strong feeling that MIT-OCW is like a regular college course, and not as rigorous as the actual course at MIT.  The questions addressed in the videos are often much more advanced than the problems offered up to the "scholar" online courses.  Still, the material is legitimately college-level.

Thanks Mike! About 2 problem sets/ 14 sessions/ 3-4 weeks in, DS thinks the material is still fairly easy. He says that the MVCalc course hasn't even touched calculus yet (they are still reviewing precalc in Section 1 Part A!). It will hopefully pick up in pace. He is doing all the work suggested in the course. If it continues to not challenge him to the extent that he wants to be challenged, I might just give it 0.5 credits. Will wait and see. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! About 2 problem sets/ 14 sessions/ 3-4 weeks in, DS thinks the material is still fairly easy. He says that the MVCalc course hasn't even touched calculus yet (they are still reviewing precalc in Section 1 Part A!). It will hopefully pick up in pace. He is doing all the work suggested in the course. If it continues to not challenge him to the extent that he wants to be challenged, I might just give it 0.5 credits. Will wait and see. Thanks again!

:) That's common -- students often need a review of conics and vectors before sniffing multivariate calculus.  Lots of calc books are structured that way...