Menu

Reading lists question

How do you format your reading list that goes along with your transcripts and course descriptions?

The sample I saw on Lee Binz's site just had the title and the author listed under the year the student read the book. I can't tell for sure if they were hyper-linked or not.

Or do you format the list more like a bibliography?

Since my DD's reading list would have been ridiculously long, I decided to include only the main literary works right in the course descriptions and skipped the reading list completely.d

If I were submitting a reading list, I'd do the simplest possible format, title and author. Nobody at the college wants to see years, edition or publishers, let alone hyperlinks.

• Like 2

Short answer -- I included the title and author.  I did not use hyperlinks.

More detailed answer -- I sent a reading list with my daughter's paperwork (i.e., transcript, counselor letter, profile and course descriptions). We sorted her list into categories such as:

Fiction

Non-fiction

Essays

Fantasy (a favorite genre of hers)

Latin works (This included authors such as Ovid and Catullus as well as books such as Virent Ova! Viret Perna! by Dr. Seuss, Ferdinandus Taurus by Munro Leaf, and Asterix Olympius by Rene de Goscinny. Since she was planning to major in Latin and/or the Classics, we thought this showed her interest.)

We included titles and author names but also shortened the list by having items such as: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy plus six sequels.

We did not include everything she had read for pleasure in high school -- for example, we did not include any manga (though she had read an abundance) nor did we include Calvin & Hobbes or Zits. We did include titles that had been assigned reading.

I also included a list of textbooks used since I did not include book titles in her course descriptions.

When my daughter looked over her reading list, there were a number of books whose contents she no longer remembered clearly. Many of these she had read in ninth grade. She elected to eliminate them so that she would not be put in an awkward position. We imagined an interviewer looking over the list and saying, "Oh, Vaguest, Dimmest Memories is a favorite title of mine. What did you like best about it?" And, yes, she was asked about some of her reading choices when she interviewed.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1