Menu

Can a student study Henle Latin on their own?

without a guide or correspondence school?

My son took 3 years of Koine Greek so he is familiar with the grammar associated with foreign languages and inflected languages....so I think with the Henle Grammar guide he could tackle it but here are my questions

Are there tests in the book or online to gauge progress?

How about pronunciation?  Is there a CD or free online pronunciation guide?

Have any of you tried this without previous Latin background? How did it go?

What I don't love is some of the content. It is preparing you to translate the Galic Wars, so there is a lot of work and vocab about war. When I need a brake I read from Lingua Latina.

Sorry about all the posts; typing this on my phone.

Yes, the war vocab gets very tedious after a while: The Gauls fortified the city, but they did not withstand the attack.  The neighboring tribes did not help the Gauls.  The Romans burned the fields.  There were bodies in the river.  Caesar and the Romans conquered the Gauls.  Over and Over and Over.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, sometimes the explanations in the book were rather short.  However,  Henle *is* do-able for a motivated student.  Personally, I like Wheelock's format (and vocab) better for self-study.

• Like 1

I did all of Helne 1 and 2 so that I could help my kids, and I ended up teaching Henle 2 locally for several years.

If they are familiar with languages, certainly it can be done.

Some of the exercises are drill-based (i.e. conjugate these verbs), and the original Helne key skips those. You can find those in a supplementary key published by Mother of Divine Grace.

Both Memoria Press and Mother of Divine Grace have study guides that break it all down for you as well as tests. There are chapter exercises, but no tests in Father Henle's books.

Seton's CD is ecclesiastical pronunciation. I didn't bother with it when I was studying and just pronounced it like Spanish, and the group I taught it for wanted classical anyway. So I had to clean up my pronunciation, but it wasn't a big deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't love is some of the content. It is preparing you to translate the Galic Wars, so there is a lot of work and vocab about war. When I need a brake I read from Lingua Latina.

Sorry about all the posts; typing this on my phone.

We have done Lively Latin 1 and 2. We hVe started Henle Latin 1 now. I would like the boys to keep their learned Vocab fresh. Will Lingua Latina as a reader seve this purpose? Do you just read it and are able to enjoy the story? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Wheelocks online has audio for free. It is - of course - for their sequence when words are listed chapter by chapter, but it is also nice for the introductory pronunciation. Secondly, stacks of the vocab is the same (praise, serve, seize, evil, shield, strong, and all those fabulous war words ;) ) So if tou coukd seek out a list of vocab comparison by chapter, you would be great for finding pronunciation with self study.

ETA: classical pronunciation; not ecclesiastical