Menu

Juggling homeschool and appointments (dr.'s, therapy, etc.)

How do you manage to homeschool and go to appointments without losing your mind?

My oldest at home (13) is going to weekly counseling appointments for depression. Plus, she is going to her pediatrician every couple of weeks while they try to find the correct dosage for her anti-depressant. I schedule these appointments in the afternoons BUT they are still making me feel rushed during school. I feel like I spend the whole morning trying to cram everything in before we have to leave.

Before this we visited the doctor maybe once a year. I'm not used to living my life around counseling and doctor's appointments.

I rearrange my school schedule for those days so that each child takes a clipboard with worksheet type work (usually always math) and sometimes something like grammar. They do their work in the car (if they don't get carsick and in the waiting room). The child with the appointment doesn't have to do the work during the appointment, of course! We don't always get through the all the work that way but usually they do get done with most of it and it is easy to finish up the remainder later.