Menu

Interesting lab ideas (web site from Bryn Mawr College)

I was looking for labs for my 10th-grader for biology this coming year, and found this web site that I thought others might appreciate.  Some of the labs are just glorified worksheets, and some are simple demonstrations.  I am looking for labs that actually ask the student to experiment--to frame a question, design an experiment, and record results to analyze.  I was surprised how many of these either already ask for this kind of work or could be easily adapted to do so.  Most or all of the materials seem to be pretty easily obtainable.  Just in case this is helpful to someone else, too...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot to link the site!  You figured me out, Lucky mama, and thanks for finishing my post for me! :001_smile:

It's nice to know someone else out there liked the look of these, too.  We're going to try out four of them.  They look like significantly higher quality than most labs (and "labs") that I see, either online or in published lab manuals. 

Lab components have always been my bugaboo with science.

I've used this site for several "labs" this year. Mostly for genetics because I like how they are a guided exercise with explanations rather than the guessing going on in the Pearson virtual labs ;not to mention the actual errors between the virtual lab bench and the lab directions).

I found biology a bit harder to experiment with. We are doing a bit of nature study and gardening on the side. Did egg osmosis changes and a bacteria lab.