Menu

Fading/Lightening age spots on face. Talk to me about this. Anything that worked? Didn't work?

FaithManor

I've been using hydralauric acide on my face for weeks, and while it is smoother and softer, it has not done a thing for these very prominent age spots on my skin. It also hasn't brightened my skin which has become quite dull. I just switched to vitamin C serum three days ago and hope that this will help.

I am wondering if anyone else here has the same problem and if you have found anything that was effective. I would look much younger and healthier if my facial skin weren't so blotchy and dull so I'd like to do something about it if I can, and since this would be considered cosmetic, have no insurance coverage to see a dermatologist. If I did have coverage, I'd be at the doctor's office because it is really beginning to bother me a lot.

Yes. I had the same problem. I began using the Obagi system about 5 months ago and my skin looks wonderful--smoother, no more melasma or age spots, fewer wrinkles. The component of the program that is specifically for age spots is hydroquinone creme (get through a derm). But the whole program has been great for me. It is very expensive, but worth it to me because I was very self conscious about my skin.

ETA because this is cosmetic, it wasnt covered by insurance. I pay about 400 for 4-5 months worth of product, not including the cleanser which i get on amazon for a reasonable price.

That's what it cost for the 4 months worth of product--or thereabouts. Maybe it lasted 3 months? But the cleanser and the toner are not essential, IMO. The components you really need are the Exfoderm, the Clear and the Sunfader. Also the retin-a if you have fine lines (it really helps). You might be able to get those separately from a derm for less. Don't get the version you can get online without a scrip--that one is not as strong and not very effective, from what I understand.

I use hydroquinone.  You can buy it very inexpensively in creams etc at Walmart. I have found 2% and 3% strength. You can also get a script for it at 4%.  The only difference is the speed at which it works. I have used this and it works very well:

http://smile.amazon.com/Nadolina-Skin-Bleach-Extra-Strength/dp/B00I9K1142/ref=pd_sim_194_16?ie=UTF8&refRID=14SJ0A4KRTDF2KG693KC

I get it for 5$ at Walmart.  You might have heard of the product "Porcelana"? It used to advertise all the time during soap operas when I was a little girl. It was made to fade 'age spots" on the hands? Age spots are just sun spots, and Porcelana had the same stuff in it. It is still around btw. 

Fade cream with hydroquinone is usually in the section for African American specific beauty products. 

I used to use a hydroquinone serum but read about the possible bad effects and stopped.  My friend went to the dermatologist and she froze off her dark spots.  They scabbed up and fell off and you can't tell she ever had them.  I am planning on doing that to my two spots after the summer is over and I'll be out of the sun.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/98207-dangers-hydroquinone/

The important part of that is where it says "high concentrations over long periods of time"  I am doing neither of those things. I don't even use the prescription strength. And I use it two to three times a week for a few months every year. I am not concerned.

I've been trying Porcelana for 6 months and it hasn't done anything. I'll keep using it until the jar runs out and then try something new. I used to be very bad about sunscreen and it's catching up with me now.

I've never used that brand specifically. I just mentioned it because people have often heard of it.  Do you use at least an SPF 30 every day? If you aren't using it very consistently while using a fade cream it isn't going to work. If you are and still haven't seen results you might consider trying a prescription strength (4%) or laser treatment.

the one I have used is 3% instead of the regular OTC 2% and maybe that makes a difference?