Menu

Can anyone tell me about REWARDS?

melbotoast

Lately I've been looking for resources to help DS with multi-syllable words. I saw the REWARDS program mentioned a few times. They had a big stack of workbooks at HPB so I grabbed one. Can I do anything with it? It looks like the teacher manual is needed for a lot of it. I'd love to hear about any experiences with REWARDS. Thanks!

I'm using it with my current 4th grader (9yo).  I like it enough, I plan on using it with youngest next year.

To be honest, I am not using the Teacher's guide with it right now, but we're 15 lessons into it (out of 25) and we've found our rhythm.  In the beginning, the guide was fairly helpful -- there's not much instruction inside the workbook.   However, the lessons follow a pretty repetitive format, so once you have a few under your belt, it's easy to wing the rest (until the format changes again, which it does somewhere around lesson 20? when they begin reading passages.)

The teacher's guide also gives a link to online materials -- tests/periodic checks, slides or transparencies for teaching, vocabulary pages with images.  We don't use them anymore, but we have done one of the checks (they schedule them every 5 lessons), as well as use the vocabulary images for a few lessons.

Have you looked through the workbook?  Are you able to get a feel for it from that?

OK, I looked through the workbook again and I found in the very back there is a page that lists the steps for reading a long word. That helps! Then I can see how to read through the word parts, words, etc. for each lesson. Obviously I won't be able to do the oral exercises but I think I can use this for some practice. Where did you get your teacher's guide? Thanks :)

I got an older edition of Rewards used on amazon for $8, and the accompanying workbook for $4. Per reviews, sometimes you have to double check with the seller that the teacher's guide really is the teacher's guide, but I had no trouble there, and there's a lot of cheap ones available right now.

Thanks, that's good to know. If I decide I need the teacher's guide I'll definitely buy used!