Menu

Living books for middle school human anatomy?

I'm sick of science curriculum, at least until high school. I'd like to study anatomy with my 2 12yos this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for good library books we could check out. I'm not particular fond of DK style books with lots of bubbles and little depth. Any suggestions? There are so many ways we could take this I just don't know where to start. 

Ambleside schedules Christian Liberty Nature Reader 5 in Year 5.  It is anatomy.

I will say that I have the Apologia Anatomy book and it is NOT living.  It is very detailed, however.  Blood and Guts is a good book, but maybe to young for 12yo.

If you are doing anatomy, you could pair it with nutrition and fitness.  12yo is old enough to help make some menu and workout plans with health in mind.  I like the Dr. Sears Nutrition book.  It's not a living book, but a reference if you choose to extend anatomy into nutrition & fitness.

• Like 1

Not really books, but the anatomy coloring book might be something to look at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0762440732/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1439525691&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=anatomy+coloring+book&dpPl=1&dpID=51k4tIi1P9L&ref=plSrch

And just because I happened to be on the Hickory Grove Press site today and saw a fun set of math problems based upon life and the body:

https://www.hickorygrovepress.com/products.cfm?ID=22&cat=8

• Like 1

Check out the lists at Guesthollow! The author is a boardie and I have used her structure to create an anatomy study for my 5th and 2nd graders. I wanted something shorter and simpler because we are doing two other topics this year in science, but Guesthollow was a great starting point.

I searched my library for authors or series I know (Seymour Simon, Nova or National Geographic dvds, The Way We Work) and for the Guesthollow recommendations. I also looked at what came up in the recommendations when I searched Amazon for a book I like from the previous lists.

• Like 2