Menu

Strength training suggestions needed: getting to a push-up

Laurie4b

I've benefited from the input from other women here who do strength-training, so I'm coming back for more! 

Background: I'm late 50s and have a goal to be able to do a full push-up by the end of September. I've kind of plateaued and wanted some suggestions for exercises that might augment what I am now doing and help me get to my goal. 

What I've been doing: Started with push-ups on my kitchen countertop and gradually found surfaces to do them on that were lower and lower. I could go about 8 inches lower each month, but have recently gotten stuck. 

I am working from the second step up from the ground, but can only do 2-3 push-ups there and am not progressing. I have also in the last month done my first knee push-ups, but after progressing steadily, I kind of leveled off at 5. 

I don't think my core is the issue because I can hold a plank for 2 min and a one legged plank for 45-60 seconds. I had surgery and radiation a few years ago and am guessing that affected chest/shoulder muscles on that side. Indirect effects resulted in a frozen shoulder on that side for 18 months. 

I've recently begun trying to do a prone dumbbell row (15 pounds each hand) and an incline dumbbell bench press (5 lbs each hand.) I am not quite sure I have the form right, but I will have someone check me this week. 

I will keep doing incline push-ups, knee push-ups from the floor, and eccentric full push-ups 3x/wk, but are there other exercises you would suggest that could help along those chest, triceps, and shoulder muscles so that I can reach my goal in 7 weeks? I'm getting a little nervous that I may not reach it.   :)

I was able to break through a complete plateau when I could only do 2 chinups by increasing the number of sets of 2 after I couldn't increase the number of reps per set. Careful about overuse injuries on this -- don't add more than one set per workout. 

• Like 2

Are you using them? How do they help? 

Yes, I do.  I have a back injury so I either use them against a wall, or with bent knees.  DD16 does a full push up on them.   We are both in PT with a very, very good PT.  She doesn't want either of us doing push-ups without them.

There are two huge advantages:

They rotate so they don't fatigue the wrists.

The rotation makes the push up harder in some ways, because it spreads the load out across several muscles instead of relying on your chest so much. You have to use some of your smaller muscles in the chest/shoulder/back/core, because with the rotation your chest can't kick in and take over all the work for you.   It also helps to prevent injury by distributing the weight among several muscles. 

Even though it can feel harder on the smaller muscles at first, you end up with much better muscle development. I actually find it is easier for me because I am not having to concentrate so hard on my form, and my movements are much, much more fluid with them.

The PT has my daughter use them because she  has a shoulder injury and she is rebuilding the muscles around that.  The rotating action helps to protect and strengthen the shoulder muscles better than a regular hand on floor pushup. 

• Like 1

I am in my 30's and relatively uninjured, so take my input as from a whipper-snapper, if it doesn't make sense for you! 

I was good at pushups at one time.  Then I had kids, got heavy, and had to really work to get back to doing full pushups.  I was going to suggest what you are already doing, moving down in height.  Knee pushups do not seem to lead to full pushups, but moving the surface down does.

Could you do 2-3 at the lower height, then 2-3 on the next step up, then 2-3 at the next step up? 

Could you back up to counter height, just for a few days, and do a much larger set?  Perhaps 20 on the countertop, as fast as possible? 

Speed is important.  Slow pushups are great for the muscles, but it is really hard to do very many slowly.  Could you give yourself 20 seconds to do as many as you can as fast as you can, at whatever level, just to break the barrier?

Last, and this might be horrible for you, but it works for me, is to be pushed beyond your normal limits by a group.  I was doing 5 full pushups at home.  Then I joined a class and they did 40 (in sets of ten).  I was SORE!  But I'm a competitive person and in a group I will achieve more.

I am in my 30's and relatively uninjured, so take my input as from a whipper-snapper, if it doesn't make sense for you! 

I was good at pushups at one time.  Then I had kids, got heavy, and had to really work to get back to doing full pushups.  I was going to suggest what you are already doing, moving down in height.  Knee pushups do not seem to lead to full pushups, but moving the surface down does.

Could you do 2-3 at the lower height, then 2-3 on the next step up, then 2-3 at the next step up? That is what I currently do to complete a set of 15. Then I do a set of 15 as a combo of knee push-ups and eccentric full push-ups to complete the set, so 30 total. 

Could you back up to counter height, just for a few days, and do a much larger set?  Perhaps 20 on the countertop, as fast as possible? 

Speed is important.  Slow pushups are great for the muscles, but it is really hard to do very many slowly.  Could you give yourself 20 seconds to do as many as you can as fast as you can, at whatever level, just to break the barrier? I have not tried speed, but will see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last, and this might be horrible for you, but it works for me, is to be pushed beyond your normal limits by a group.  I was doing 5 full pushups at home.  Then I joined a class and they did 40 (in sets of ten).  I was SORE!  But I'm a competitive person and in a group I will achieve more. I stop when my muscles won't budge, so when my family tries to cheerlead me, it doesn't help. My muscles are just d.o.n.e. 

• 3 weeks later...