Menu

Guidebook or web site for Williamsburg?

We're going to Williamsburg in April, and I am looking for a good guidebook or web site that can help me plan. We have our lodging already.

For my first trip to a destination, I prefer highly opinionated guidebooks that have no qualms telling me which stuff I have to see and which stuff isn't worth my money. (Think Rick Steves over Lonely Planet.)

And I like guidebooks that tell me how to avoid lines and other hassles. (Think the Unofficial Guide to Disney World.)

Any recommendations?

Don't have a guidebook recommendation, but here's the "official" historical area site. While you're there, take advantage of the finest free attraction in town, which is, IMHO opinion, the College of William & Mary. Beautiful campus. Don't miss the Wren building--DH and I were married in the chapel. :001_smile: Just a walk across "ancient" and old campuses is worth it. Take a look at Crim Dell, considered one of the most romantic spots on a college campus.

ETA: Can I tell you my personal faves? Best DOG Street stuff: tours of the Governor's Palace (don't miss the little secluded spot over the berm in the very, very back of the garden; we used to study back there! Also take a walk 'round the pond--very pretty) and the Capital; a carriage ride; the courthouse and armory tours; and a nighttime lantern tour of the restored area. Best dining experiences: Obviously this is so personal, but my faves are the sandwiches at The Cheese Shop (which has become INCREDIBLY POPULAR, so go early), the colonial dinner at the Kings Arms Tavern and nightly gambols at Chowning's Tavern. Best metro Burg experience: Carter's Grove, hands down. Tour the house and grounds, then take the wooded path homeward. It's beautiful. Best around-town experiences: The ferry to Surry County; free and relaxing. It's just past Jamestown. Perhaps tour J'town in the AM and then take the ferry to The Surrey House for lunch? They make a killah PB-banana sandwich! Best deli: Paul's. Best place to spot Bruce Hornsby: The Green Leafe or Swem Library. ;)

We just bought a good guide from the website for Williamsburg and had it sent to us in advance so I could read it and plan what not to miss. The guide I bought also listed what was on each street, etc. The Wmburg website will show you what events are going on the days you will be there, and if needed you can get tickets/passes in advance via the website.

I used the book Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown, the Official Guide to America's Historic Triangle by the Williamsburg foundation to help plan our visit. Although it doesn't have the Rick Steves-type information, I found it useful. I was able to get the book from our library. Enjoy your trip!

LauraD in MN