Menu

Is Progressive Phonics alone enough?

bethanyjoy

I was thinking about using Progressive Phonics to teach my first grader to read. She can sound out CVC words, but pretty much has no interest in learning how to read. I am trying to find something that has no pressure, etc. and that will be fun for her. Would Progressive Phonics alone be enough to teach a child to read?

Thanks,

Bethany

It was enough for us. We ditched OPGTR and ETC workbooks, and started buddy reading with PP. My son loved it! After we finished PP, we read Nora Gaydos books and then picked up the AAR readers. We started in level 2 and finished through level 4. My son finished reading at an early 5th grade level by the end of K. I credit PP with our great start.

• Like 1

Yes, if you'll both put in the work and be consistent. Don't be afraid to supplement with a dry-erase board or paper + marker. I used it with a child who was "blah" about learning to read and it worked out fine. I would introduce each new phonics skill/concept free style first and do a few white board exercises. That way she wont grow weary of struggling with PP, when she might just need a little practice before hand.

Have you looked at ReadingBear.org? What about StarFall, might either of those free beginning literacy sites pique her interest?

I read a lot of supplementary phonics readers to my PP student and invited them to read or sound out a word or two here and there in the beginning, now we are buddy reading 1st and 2nd level readers.

It's enough for many kids - a lot of kids can learn to read with very little direct instruction in phonics, and Progressive Phonics does provide phonics instruction.  For some kids, it won't be enough.  It was one of many things I used with my oldest after I pulled her out of school.  (She was not reading by the end of first grade at a private school that used a "whole language" approach to reading. I suspect mild dyslexia, but I've never had her evaluated.)