Menu

5th grade Hake grammar ?

redtexas

We split each grammar lesson into two days. DS would read the instruction (vocab + grammar examples/solutions) and do the grammar practice set on the first day, and spend around 15 to 20 minutes total. Then on the second day, he would do only the evens or the odds in the review set and that would take around 15 minutes. (We skipped half of every review set and I found that he never needed more review than that. But if a student needs more review, it sure is nice to have it there.) So a total of approx 30 to 35 minutes per grammar lesson, spread over two days.

I let DS write in the book, rather than copying his answers onto separate paper. Copying onto separate paper would, I think, add quite a bit more time to each lesson.

We didn't use the writing portion of Hake. But if I were doing it with a 5th grader, I don't think I'd want to spend more than 30 minutes a day on the writing assignments. I'd probably just work for half an hour max on writing and then stop until the next day.

• Like 1

We only do the Grammar book.  We do NOT write in the books.  Our boys take about 30 min.  They pretty much do it all on their own.  You'll have to see what others say about the Writing book.  We finally found a grammar program that works for us!   :)

Pam