Menu

Most flexible umbrella school for high school

I am starting to plan for high school as my youngest is  in 7th now.

I think/hope my son will go to college, however he is going to have to work very hard to get through the college prep courses.  He is distractable, talkative, creative, right brained, and not the most academicaly motivated, but he is capable (As/Bs) with mom keeping him on track (i.e. lots of supervision/prodding).  He wIll probably wind up majoring in visual arts and doing either graphic design, animation, cinematography, and eventually production/design/direction.  He is best at literature and writing, and struggles most with math.

He is very social and talkative and really benefits from small group discussions.  We are Catholic. We have a wonderful Christian coop nearby where I outsourced general science last year  and it was a good expereince for him.  This year for 7th grade, I will outsource Junior high life science (with labs), State history, Art instuction and English (Total Language Plus)   I will continue to do Religion (Catholic) with him at home and Math with him at home (an area he needs more tutoring) as well as additional some English (ACE) for the extra grammar since I heard Total Language Plus is a tad weak in grammar and we are already doing ACE English.

In high school, I see ourselves continuing in the same way with many classes at the coop, but will probably do history courses at home or online to gain the Catholic perspective.  Also, he would likely pick up Writing and a foreign language at the coop.

I am looking to partner with an umbrella school that would allow me to make these choices.  Can anyone recommend an umbrella school that is easy to work with and allow the flexibility we need, while providing a trascript that colleges will like, and some feedback on class choices for credit if I need it?  Accredidation would be a bonus too.

Thank you!

Kolbe sounds like it might be our best best, particularly if we happen to like their history and religion classes.  Does anyone here have experience with those at the high shcool level?

I will have to look further into NARHS...thank you for mentioning it.

We have used CLE social studies in the past so I am familiar with it.  Can the 3 credits per year be in electives by chance?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Jennifer,

Thank you - I will have to look at CLE electives for high school.  Have you any experience with their high school electives?

The only subject I have used CLE for is 4th grade social studies - and it is pretty challenging - more like a 6th grade level, which is how I am using it - as a 6th grade level social studies program.

My oldest is in 7th, so we haven't used their electives yet. DD is chomping at the bit to use their home ec but we are waiting. After this thread I had a look at Kolbe myself. It does seem more flexible. It costs a bit more but there is no requirement to use their courses whatsoever. I m now leaning towards Kolbe for a cover school for high school because of that level if flexibility.

We've also never used CLE for Social Studies, but it does look like it requires a good deal of thinking and writing in 4th from the samples I've seen. We use it most for elementary skill subjects (and love it).

Jennifer,

It is great to know you have also confirmed that Kolbe is maximally flexible. I have a 7th grader too, and when he gets into 9th grade we are likely to register him with Kolbe for the accredited transcript.

Even though one does not have to take any of their courses to be enrolled, I do like the looks of some of their online courses, especially in literature and history (which are always nice for group discussion), so he may take a course or two each year from them once he is in high school.

• Like 1