Menu

What to do for math?

I have put off a final decision as long as I could. I really have to decide this week so I can gather materials and get my weekly assignments list done. Sigh.

So Brotherman has been using Khan Academy primarily. He has completed all the way through 6th grade math with them. We supplemented with Saxon 76, mostly because I wanted to check that he was really learning and I already had it. I don't have 87, and he really doesn't care for Saxon. He prefers the online classes. 

My first question is do I go the next in the series on Khan Academy and have him do 7th grade math, or go into Prealgebra? There is some overlap, but 7th grade math has more emphasis on arithmetic, which he is mostly solid on except negative numbers. And either way, what do I use to supplement? 

You could do just the negative #'s then move on to the Pre-Alg.

As for a textbook, you could use Lial's. It's busy but solid.   

I talked to him about it this afternoon and that's actually what he said he wants to do! He thinks he should do the negative numbers sections then retake the algebra/prealgebra readiness tests and go with placement from there. 

For our supplemental work I will just have him do a few problems from each lesson. Does Lial's lend itself well to that?

I talked to him about it this afternoon and that's actually what he said he wants to do! He thinks he should do the negative numbers sections then retake the algebra/prealgebra readiness tests and go with placement from there. 

For our supplemental work I will just have him do a few problems from each lesson. Does Lial's lend itself well to that?

Lial's is pretty standard in its layout, pretty much a a regular P.S. textbook. You could do extra problems from it easily.  There are answers in the back to the odd questions or you can buy a solutions manual. As far as lining up exactly with Khan's, I'm not sure.

• Like 1