Menu

World Geography

I'd like my 9th grade daughter to take Geography this fall.  I have Around the World in 180 Days, and Bob Jones Geography.  I don't like either format.  Have you used anything that you loved for your high schooler?  I'd love something on a cd or dvd, or something very user friendly.  Reading a chapter in the Bob Jones book is incredibly boring.  There has to be an interesting, fun, geography option out there.   Ideas?

Well be using Rubenstein's Human Geography (which I've started reading because it's interesting).  I hope to finish it in 24 weeks then move on to DeBlij's The World Today which is a regional focus on Geography(we'll do more of an overview or pick and choose bits of it).  I plan to add in some video's from Netflix/YouTube/Amazon.  I had thought to also do some other reading (Lost Boys, We Regret to Inform You....., Fast Food Nation) and if he weren't dyslexic I would.

The only DVD/CD option I've come across is from TGC.  Of course I was only looking for secular stuff so you might find more if it's religious.

ETA: Duh! Power of Place from Annenburg, I can't believe I forgot! Also check out what P.S. teachers are using by searching: AP Human Geography syllabus.

• Like 1

We will be using Oak Meadow's World Geography....http://oakmeadow.com/courses/world-geography/

My dd 9th grader will also join in with activities from Build Your Library grade 7 Geography with siblings. http://buildyourlibrary.com/purchase-grade-7-curriculum/

I'm using some of BYL's high school reading list, too, but adding in ones that dd wants to read.

http://buildyourlibrary.com/multi-grade-teaching-an-example/#comment-413

We are throwing in lots of videos as well like Globe Trekker.

In the online course I teach I use a lot of video - it is SO much more interesting "seeing" the geography rather than reading about it. Michael Palin's videos were favorites of my own children's. I also plan to get the students to read books set in other countries. And play online games (Seterra etc). And the Google Maps / Earth is a great way to explore a city / area. 

Instead of using tests to check mastery you can get your daughter to create posters, make websites, plan itineraries for trips etc. That's what I did for my oldest 3. It is actually fairly easy to create your own curriculum for geography. I had bought / seen almost everything available and found it all pretty uninspiring. I wanted my kids to gain not only knowledge but an understanding and appreciation of cultures. 

• Like 4

In the online course I teach I use a lot of video - it is SO much more interesting "seeing" the geography rather than reading about it. Michael Palin's videos were favorites of my own children's. I also plan to get the students to read books set in other countries. And play online games (Seterra etc). And the Google Maps / Earth is a great way to explore a city / area.

Instead of using tests to check mastery you can get your daughter to create posters, make websites, plan itineraries for trips etc. That's what I did for my oldest 3. It is actually fairly easy to create your own curriculum for geography. I had bought / seen almost everything available and found it all pretty uninspiring. I wanted my kids to gain not only knowledge but an understanding and appreciation of cultures.

We looked over your Geography when we were trying to decide on what to use. I have to let you know that I think it looks awesome and wish dd picked it! She is my booky kid and wanted a book to read & hold....... I'm hoping I can use your curriculum with my next dd.

We are seriously looking into your American for 10th grade year!

• Like 1

We looked over your Geography when we were trying to decide on what to use. I have to let you know that I think it looks awesome and wish dd picked it! She is my booky kid and wanted a book to read & hold....... I'm hoping I can use your curriculum with my next dd.

We are seriously looking into your American for 10th grade year!

Thanks! Glad you liked it - but also glad you let your dd chose what she wanted. That is the beauty of homeschooling - you can tailor courses to fit your kids. I always let my kids choose too. At least then if they end up hating it they can't blame you :)

• Like 1

Have you looked at Barbara Runkle's?  The title is something like "Welcome to the Wonderful World of Geography".  It is an interesting textbook. We added in mapping activities and some fun books like Material World, Hungry Planet, and a couple others for supplemental reading.