Menu

OPGTR & AAR Combined? Help Forming Language Arts for K

Ahayes

Can I combine AAR and the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading for a 6-year-old ELL kindergartner?  

I am also thinking about using the IEW PAL: Writing program.  I know it is designed to accompany the PAL: Reading program (which can stand by itself).  Does the PAL: writing program stand by itself?  

I don't want to overwhelm her in kindergartner.  

What else do I need if I use OPGTR and AAR besides a handwriting program?  

I think OPGTR and AAR together is overkill.  Pick one or the other, I'd say.  My kids balked at OPGTR.  They love AAR.  In K, we did AAR and a smidgen of handwriting (HWOT), and that's about it for language arts.  I have PAL reading and writing.  It was a flop at our house.  An expensive flop.  Mine were too young for it, which I found out after I spent HOURS assembling those (insert bad word) file folder activities.  AAR was a kinder, gentler intro to reading.  They are starting 1st now and are almost finished with AAR 2.  In hindsight, ETC would have been a good addition to AAR for my kids. 

• Like 2

ETC is Explode the Code.  My kids were just turning 5 and starting kindergarten when we tried PAL Reading and Writing. We gave it a while but it just didn't go well.  They did love the poetry memorization, though.  We still know several of the poems; we learned them all even after moving to AAR. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely one or the other....We really did not like AAR and switched to OPGTR.  AAR was too multisensory ... I felt like the program was all grill and drill, without a focus on contextualize reading.

AAR would introduce a sound, then practice words; the next day, they read in the reader.  OPGTR has every single lesson sounding out words AND reading a story for reinforcement.  That story everyday gave meaning for the kids. Kept them interested.  Honestly I think AAR has too much fluff.  

Of course I had to spend a hundred bucks to come to this conclusion :/ 

• 3 weeks later...