Menu

questions for adhd/pdd autism..therapy or Ymca

If you have decided not to use government money for therapy and can't afford it what do you do?? We were going to do the state thing through a foundation in our area...(great record). We are not sure we want to now because they want to know everything personal including what every older child makes (money), who lives here, etc.

Have you ever joined the ymca (especially for adhd)? Will the Y give scholarships for this ... do you need a doctors letter?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm at a loss and I really need to get dd into something to calm her or just to keep her busy!! She walked around early this evening stating she just didn't know what to do with herself. She played (with toys) for about a total of 2 minutes.

My DH and DS were in the Indian Guide (now Y Guide) program for years, and we couldn't afford any of it the first year. YMCA's have funds to help those who need it.

My DS was diagnosed as autistic back then, but now, at age 12, does not qualify for an autism spectrum diagnosis. He is ragingly ADHD though, as his his dad.

I have always given some of the credit for DS's getting better to our fantastic experiences with the Indian Guide program. DS made wonderful friends he is still close to, as did DH and I. DH and DS are in Trailblazers now, the next step up from Indian Guides.

Michelle T

One thing to look into at the YMCA is swimming!!!

I can't tell you how much swimming helps my youngest daughter, who has autism.

She LOVES to swim!!! She just feels better in the water. It helps with her sensory issues, coordination, confidence, etc.

Her family nickname is "Fish" because she just really took to swimming!!

So I would try to find a Y with an indoor pool!! (Our county *just* opened a YMCA this month...so no more driving for 30 minutes to find her an indoor pool! Yippee!)