Menu

Need literature help for 9th grade

I am working on our lit list for 9th grade. DS is somewhat of a reluctant reader who has only willingly read the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games series, so our focus this year will be short stories and dystopian novels.

We have not done much formal lit analysis, so I am unsure of how to start...what questions to ask, what things to look for, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Also I am not sure of what order to do the following books in and how/when to include short stories.

Here is the list as I have it so far...advise on tweaking this would be helpful!

The Giver

The Time Machine

Fahrenheit 451

The Maze Runner series

Divergent

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Ender's Game

Short stories:

Harrison Bergeron

The ones who walk away from Omelas

The Most Dangerous Game

Gift of the Magi

The Monkey's Paw

The Lottery

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

a Sherlock Holmes short story

Having not read many of these myself, I am not sure how to plan this all out. Are there any resources for studying short stories? I also plan to add at least a few guides like Garlic press or Progeny press guides, so those will help some with analysis. I have just been stressing over this, and would feel better if I had a plan in place!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think it is a great list and you could do them in any order with the novels evenly spaced through the year and the short stories sprinkled in between. You don't need to stress too much about literary analysis, but if you read them at the same time as your ds just start out by just talking about the books together -- talk about what you like or dislike about the writing, the characters, the plot. Don't make it a question and answer period, rather make it about sharing the books. The literary analysis will grow from there.

You can also google each title, look for reviews to read after you've both finished the book, then talk about the reviews -- do you agree with them or did the writer have another perspective that you missed. And you can have your ds google the author, get some background on the books. Watching a movie adaptation makes for more good discussions -- what did they get right, what did the miss, why would they make those story decisions. Good reviews of the movies will often compare the books to the movie.

We sometimes listened together to audio books, especially while driving to activities.  It was a good spring board for discussions -- I'd hit pause and make a comment, or explain something, as in Hound of the Baskervilles when I had to explain what a water mark is in stationery paper!  (It's a great intro into Homes, btw.)

Were you needing a framework for yourself to know what to ask/ discuss?

This teacher training class for home school teachers helped me.

https://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100_101_139&products_id=730

You may also need a resource called Poetics. http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=99_97_15&products_id=649

You could double check with customer service..
Customer Service: 1-800-705-7487 (M-F, 10am to 4pm EST)

I recommend taking a look at Sparknotes. It is free and online and has some of your novels and shortstories.  It covers a nice range of literary analysis elements.

Also, you might consider watching the BBC Sherlock in conjunction with reading Sherlock Holmes.  My DD had read just a couple of the stories before watching the BBC series and then went back and devoured many more.  She loved how the directors of the show compared/contrasted to the original stories.