Menu

Where in the U.S. do you come from if...

go_go_gadget

Local legend has it that when BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) was being designed, it was going to be ''Fremont Area Rapid Transit,'' but someone did catch it.

I would think "bay area" would be more generic considering how much of the area the train covers.

seattle also has a fremont neighborhood.  there is a statue called "waiting for the interurban" of people at a train stop/shelter.   it gets dressed up for holidays.  in cold weather people will put hats and scarves on them.

I recently took one of those online linguistics quizzes that's supposed to pinpoint your hometown. Even though I've lived in 6 states and one Canadian province, it nailed mine exactly. :)

I've always lived here - and those online linguistic quizzes can't tell where I'm from.  (It can only rule out the deep south.)

• Like 1

I would think "bay area" would be more generic considering how much of the area the train covers.

It is much more appropriate, because the Fremont station is actually a far-removed endpoint, not even close to the center of service. The story is almost certainly untrue because of that, but it's funny.

• Like 1

Someone kick your puppy this morning?

I love regional variations in speech, though there is a particular variation of southern accent of which I am no fan. It is hard to describe in writing, but it is the flat northern Alabama version. Still, it will be a sad thing when regional speech patterns completely disappear, and we all sound alike.

Was meant to be light hearted. I am rural born. My favorite tv shows as a kid were ones displaying accents very different from my own .... Gomer Pyle, Dukes of Hazard, Beverly Hillbilies, Andy Griffith, Welcome Back Kotter.