Menu

SAT subject test biology E/M?

My DD14 plans to use the Miller/Levine Bio text with Kolbe syllabus for 9th grade. If she has a thorough understanding of the topics covered, is this enough preparation to achieve a high score on the Bio subject test? Also, does this text do a better job in covering material for E vs M? It is unlikely that she will take AP bio later.

TIA!

Kerry

I started a similar thread in the spring, and had some encouraging replies:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/550835-biology-sat-subject-test-wo-ap-success-stories/

My plan is to go through the Baron's test prep book concurrent with the M-L book so we can catch gaps as we go along.

Are you going to wait for the new Kolbe course plan? I just called recently, and ETA is August.

• Like 1

I'm going to let dd decide if she wants to do E or M (she'll be studying from M-L in a block schedule for fall semester). I think she'd prefer E, just based on her interests to this point.

We were going to use the Kolbe syllabus, but once I started digging into the M-L material (I purchased the macaw ibook) I realized I could do it all on my own.

• Like 2

I started a similar thread in the spring, and had some encouraging replies:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/550835-biology-sat-subject-test-wo-ap-success-stories/

My plan is to go through the Baron's test prep book concurrent with the M-L book so we can catch gaps as we go along.

Are you going to wait for the new Kolbe course plan? I just called recently, and ETA is August.

Thank you! I just ordered the course plan a few days ago. Since they are no longer selling the Dragonfly book, I was thinking this plan was for use with Macaw, but since I wasn't sure I haven't yet ordered either text. I saw message from a year ago mentioning the switch and didn't want to wait any longer. My package should arrive by the end of the week. How long ago did you call?

I called a week or so ago. You might want to call and make sure you will receive what you think you ordered. We were enrolled for the last two years, and I have found them to be very easy to work with.

Luckymama, I am on the fence about ordering the Kolbe plan. I have everything ready to go already except for tests. At this point, I doubt I would like pre-written tests.

• Like 1

Kolbe course plan arrived yesterday and it is using the Dragonfly book. I just ordered a copy of the Dragonfly book for $13 off Amazon, so I'll just go with that. Does anyone know of any updates/changes that I should cover with my daughter? Someone mentioned the Macaw iPad version is under $20. If I know of any important updates, we could just go over those sections. I'm assuming the majority of the content is unchanged, just a new format. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to let dd decide if she wants to do E or M (she'll be studying from M-L in a block schedule for fall semester). I think she'd prefer E, just based on her interests to this point.

We were going to use the Kolbe syllabus, but once I started digging into the M-L material (I purchased the macaw ibook) I realized I could do it all on my own.

:D Lost my coffee there on the bold. And we wonder where our kids get it from. ;)

• Like 2