Menu

What do you think of this enrichment idea for the SOTW4 chapter on the potato famine.

dorothy

Oh man, you got me. I thought it was from the Activity Guide and thought, "Seriously? Funny but so wrong."

I think I will just reenact what my ancestors did whenever a famine hit. Move. We went from the Rhineland in the early 1700s to Ireland until the potato famine when we hauled it to Quebec and then later to Detroit. I don't think we were escaping a famine in Quebec though.

I have a St. Patrick's Day baby that doesn't like potatoes. That chills my Irish genes. Her mn is even Bridget. So wrong.

Last year I had my students eat a beef version of Irish stew(I don't do lamb) and they were so scared. I told them that they would not eat anything else for lunch that day. This terrified them b/c their roots are in Nigeria and they picky on top of that. Not really into American food. So they all thought they would starve. Well, they loved it! I dont think I got the point across of how dependent these people were on potatoes but oh well.:tongue_smilie:

Hi,

Ever since doing the potato famine several months ago and making irish stew with the kids, it has become a family tradition that Sunday morning all the kids - yes even ds2 gets a peeler and a carrot (irish stew is very forgiving) - peel carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes, cut them up and put them in the slow cooker before church. I throw in an onion and a couple of lamb shanks over the top, salt and pepper it and put the water in, and dinner is prepared. We have it with garlic bread for tea and it's a family favourite. I am so grateful to SOTW for all the things we've learned over the years and added to our family's experiences. This has to be one of the best, though.

Cheers,

Jenny