Menu

Help Critique my plans for DS6/7 please!

mmasc

I need advice on what I've chosen/what's missing/what's too much/not enough...you get the idea. ;)  Details are:  My middle DS is finishing 'first' grade, even though I do not feel he is really going to be at a second grade level, and that's ok.  He is a young first grader.  He will be 7 next month.  We are trying to work through reading over the summer and some very light math.  My main focus is READING!  We are slowly, slowly working through OPGTR, readers from Progressive Phonics, and I See Sam readers.  (We did about half of first grade with MCP Plaid Phonics, but stopped once we hit long vowels). He's making progress, but slowly.  He has the stamina to stick with me for about 10 minutes or less, no longer. I just ordered Dancing Bears A to try.  Fingers crossed!  So here's the line-up:

Dancing Bears A

WWE 1 (he has done about 40 pages of it so far, so we'll just continue on)

CLE Math (finish 100s, move into 200s)

MP Enrichment 1st grade

MFW tag-along with older DS?  If that isn't working, then we will do SOTW 1

I have AAS from older DS, but I just don't know if starting it will help his reading, or if it will use too much brain power that should be used for reading. ??

Thanks for any tips, advice, or encouragement.  :)

I probably wouldn't start him on a spelling program until he's reading fluently, but that's just me.

Looks good, just focus on reading, reading, reading! 

I love the look of MP Enrichment - I'm using the K for my preschooler and 1st grader next year. :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't start him on a spelling program until he's reading fluently, but that's just me.

Looks good, just focus on reading, reading, reading!

I love the look of MP Enrichment - I'm using the K for my preschooler and 1st grader next year. :)

Good luck!

Thanks! :)

We did the same thing last year...I used MP K Enrichment with my preschooler and first grader. It was wonderful!

I started my struggling reader on AAS at the beginning of 1st and he did surprisingly well at it.  We did AAR1 too this year and it helped a ton with the reading.  I think the phonics in AAS could help with the reading process...might be worth it to try it at a slow pace and see how he responds.

• Like 1

I started my struggling reader on AAS at the beginning of 1st and he did surprisingly well at it. We did AAR1 too this year and it helped a ton with the reading. I think the phonics in AAS could help with the reading process...might be worth it to try it at a slow pace and see how he responds.

Thanks for your suggestion! I was kind of thinking about trying our AAS specifically to see if it helps with his reading. It's good to know I might be on the right track with that. Thanks again!

I started my struggling reader on AAS at the beginning of 1st and he did surprisingly well at it.  We did AAR1 too this year and it helped a ton with the reading.  I think the phonics in AAS could help with the reading process...might be worth it to try it at a slow pace and see how he responds.

:iagree:

My daughter struggled through AAR 1. Afterwards, we went through AAS 1, and it REALLY helped solidify the concepts for her and her reading improved a lot during that time!

We use the two programs as intended: AAR1, AAS1, AAR2, AAS2, etc. Using it this way makes complete sense! The time spent in spelling is review of phonograms, stepping it up a notch by encoding v. decoding, and reviews everything before moving on to more phonograms in the next level. It's been great!

• Like 1