Menu

Tell me about Rod & Staff Spelling...

socody

What do you like or dislike about R&S? Specifically looking for a 2nd grader. We're doing AAS 2 now & it's going ok but the cost may prevent me from going on to the next level. The cost of R&S is most appealing but I do want something effective for a dd who is NoT a natural speller but a great reader!

What do you like or dislike about R&S? Specifically looking for a 2nd grader. We're doing AAS 2 now & it's going ok but the cost may prevent me from going on to the next level. The cost of R&S is most appealing but I do want something effective for a dd who is NoT a natural speller but a great reader!

Spelling by Sound and Structure is very good, although the second and third grade books are very basic and simple. At fourth grade, it becomes more challenging--not because the spelling lists are more difficult, but because the activities are. You know, it's inexpensive enough that you could go ahead and buy it and toss it without regret if it isn't what you're looking for...just don't disregard it fourth grade and up based on what you think about second grade. :-)

It's thorough, simple, independent and cheap. The second grade book seems pretty easy, but Ellie is right that there is a jump between 3rd and 4th. I was so tempted to accelerate my oldest son and I'm glad I didn't because once we hit 4th, it was right for him.

• Like 1

We did R&S for second and third grade spelling after trying several other programs. My son prefers it to All About Spelling and my presentation of the Spalding method. My son really wanted something semi-independent as well as brief. For this level, I like that R&S is not teacher intensive, the word lists are not long, and there are two pages of activities for each week. I'm looking forward to using it in fourth grade.