Menu

History with Second Grader

Hello, 

We are part of a homeschooling coop that meets weekly to review Classically Catholic Memory Work (CCM). We joined this coop a year after it started so we began with the Gamma Year which covers Medieval Times for History. At the same time, we were reading through Story of the World 1 (Ancient Times) at home. 

This coming September we will be starting Early Modern Times with CCM...

I am reading The Well Trained Mind and understand now the importance of covering History from beginning and following through to Modern times.  

My questions is: Instead of going back and forth in time with History, should I just focus on Early Modern Times this September even though my second grader didn't cover history chronologically?  

I'm thinking it would be more confusing to go back and forth in history within the same year. For example, buying and reading through Story of the World II (Medieval Times) while memorizing facts from Early Modern Times.  It may be more beneficial to get Story of the World III (Early Modern Times) while we cover early Modern Times with CCM. (This means we would skip Story of the World II)

She will get a chance to go over history from start to finish later down the road. But it is very important to do that in the first place? 

What do you all think? 

Thank you!

There are no rules for history that you have to follow! TWTM does recommend the whole four-year cycle thing, but Ms. Bauer (SWB) will not look askance at you for doing what is right for your family. :-) There is a variety of opinions on the value of chronological history, but I suspect everyone would agree on doing what is right for your family. So if moving into early modern feels right, do it. My only note of caution would be that year 4 is more violent and you may want to read ahead a bit if your dd is sensitive.

• Like 1