Menu

IEW vs EIW-Questions for those who have tried both

Here's a comparison I did awhile ago. Essentials worked much better for us, but I know many people love IEW. Both are strong programs, so it may be a matter of finding which one is a better fit for you and your student.

I haven't used Level 6, but I found that we typically spent about 30 minutes per day on writing. I always added on 30-45 minutes of reading/literature, and occasional lit. discussions, but I was using the programs in junior high and high school. We use read-alouds for additional lit, for discussions and vocabulary etc... Generally I think it's good to aim for 60-90 minutes of language arts study, and 30 is plenty for writing unless they are in the middle of a project.  

Here's a comparison I did awhile ago. Essentials worked much better for us, but I know many people love IEW. Both are strong programs, so it may be a matter of finding which one is a better fit for you and your student.

I haven't used Level 6, but I found that we typically spent about 30 minutes per day on writing. I always added on 30-45 minutes of reading/literature, and occasional lit. discussions, but I was using the programs in junior high and high school. We use read-alouds for additional lit, for discussions and vocabulary etc... Generally I think it's good to aim for 60-90 minutes of language arts study, and 30 is plenty for writing unless they are in the middle of a project.

Thanks Merry!

EIW was SO much better for us than IEW. I picked the topics for the writing assignments (usually based on our history) and DS used EIW to complete them. We also use MBTP for literature which includes lots of essays about the literature. We had an awesome year using both and will do the same next year.

• Like 1