Menu

Art and craft supplies list?

I know this has been discussed before but my search was not successful.

I finally have some money available to buy supplies, and since we have all the academic resources we're likely to need for the next year or so, I have decided to restock our arts and crafts shelves. So please, does anybody have a checklist of items that would be good to have? This is for kids in 6th, 4th and 2nd grade with a moderate interest/ability in art projects.

We have these desk easels and love them: http://www.amazon.com/Marquis-Artists-Desk-Easel-13-1/dp/B002Y6CWCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433331803&sr=8-1&keywords=desk+easels

They are made from a very light wood, but have held up pretty well so far (they got them for Easter).  DH and I each got one as well and enjoy using them.  The kids even bring them in the car!

Here is what we mostly use and what I try to keep on hand:

Drawing set (set of pencils, both a hard and soft eraser, pencil sharpener)

Watercolors (several types to choose from)

clay (they prefer Sculpey)

tempera paints (Crayola has a nice set you can find at Walmart)

paintbrushes

variety of paper (inlucding construction and scrapbook paper)

felt and embroidery thread (for sewing projects)

variety of glue (elmers in bottle, glue sticks, tacky glue, rubber cement, mod podge, glue dots--we use all of these!)

scissors

pipe cleaners, pompoms, beads, googly eyes, jingle bells, etc...although I usually buy these as needed and save the leftovers for other projects

Oil pastels.

Do you have a craft store nearby? Can you go and browse? Walk up and down every aisle. Get ideas from the "kids" aisle but then go but the real (quality) supplies from elsewhere in the store (I have a real problem with the crap companies sell kids, maybe other places sell good quality products for kids. If so, ignore me)

We have bought a few things and are going to get some more. So far the most exciting purchase has been "real" artist color pencils, because in the past we've only had a mishmash of super cheap kids' ones, and these new ones are about 500% nicer and easier to draw with.

We have bought a few things and are going to get some more. So far the most exciting purchase has been "real" artist color pencils, because in the past we've only had a mishmash of super cheap kids' ones, and these new ones are about 500% nicer and easier to draw with.